Beginner needs help with wireless project!

Hello, as stated i have not been programming arduino for that long, so i have little knowledge about the hardware and the programming.

The project:

Based on arduino I am making a device able to measure the speed of a punch.

As a proof-of-concept, the project for now looks like this: An arduino is placed on the hip of a person, a coiled cable connects the arduino to an accelerometer on the persons wrist. During measurements, the arduino needs to be connected to the computer with a cable. The measurements that are beeing send to the computer by the accelerometer is used in MATLAB to create some graphs and do the specific calculations.

This is where i need your expertice: I would like this project to end up with something like an accelerometer and an arduino mini, placed on the wrist, sending wireless data to the computer, making the measurements, and displaying some results.

Is this possible to pull off? Where should i start? What hardware do i need to get a hold of?

Any advice is appreciated!

someone has a tag line that says I came here to find out how to light an LED and the responses I got were what color, please post a drawing and why just buy a flashlight, here is a link to flashlights.

I am of no help for your project, but as a concept, the wrist and shoulder have a fixed orientation. in boxing, if you hold your wrist at your shoulder, the relationship of directly away from the shoulder. this should not be too hard to measure.

however, an upper cut, holds the wrist at a nearly fixed distance and the movement is rotation around the axis of the shoulder and there is almost no change of distance from the wrist to the shoulder. even the shoulder/wrist, wrist/elbow and elbow/shoulder seem to be fixed and the only movement is the rotation of the arm in the shoulder socket.

sorry, I do not see an easy way to get the measurements you want.

dave-in-nj, thank you for your reply!

The measurements themselves is not the problem. (I am focusing on straight punches, jabs if you will). The problem is that i dont want to hook the person who has to do the measurements up to a computer everytime he has to do a measurement. What i would like to do is having the person equip something like a bracelet, containing the relevant hardware able to measure, and send data to my computer wirelessly. I just dont know how i should send this data wirelessly to my computer.

I have looked into a pair of APC220 rf modules, and an HC-06 bluetooth module, but i dont know if these will work for transferring data wirelessly from an arduino to my computer.

PS. I have set the accelerometer to do about 100 measurements per second.

There has been quite a bit of medical research into brain damage caused by boxing so it's likely that most of your project has been done before. If you search for relevant research papers it may give you an idea of the measurement hardware and problems that the researchers encountered.

The contact time for a punch is probably a fraction of a second, so 100 measurements per second will probably miss the peak acceleration. Perhaps you could sample at a higher rate then buffer the data and send it when punches aren't being made.

dave-in-nj: someone has a tag line that says I came here to find out how to light an LED and the responses I got were what color, please post a drawing and why just buy a flashlight, here is a link to flashlights.

In that spirit, why not spend your brain power persuading people not to fight.

...R

Mokurkalfe: I would like this project to end up with something like an accelerometer and an arduino mini, placed on the wrist, sending wireless data to the computer, making the measurements, and displaying some results.

Is this possible to pull off? Where should i start? What hardware do i need to get a hold of?

I'd think a $4 HC-05 module could send the data over Bluetooth to the computer. You then just need a small microcontroller to read the values from an IMU. I think something like an Arduino Pro Mini (of clone) and MPU6050 (about $3) would do the job.

Adafruit has a bunch of examples of powering boards from a single LiPo cell. This seems like a good application for a similar power supply strategy.

Hi,

Google arduino accelerometer punch

and this appears among lots of other stuff.

http://hackaday.com/2010/04/15/punching-accelerometers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISsu5k85mQ

Although they use the object being punched, you could swap it to the puncher instead of the punchee.

Tom..... :)