Beginner project idea

Hello.

I have not used Arduino and have no experience with electronics. However I would love to have a go.

I have an idea for a clock that works by having a circle of 60 LEDs, then another circle of 60 LEDs inside the first circle and another circle of 12 LEDs inside that. The outer circle would be seconds, the middle minutes and the inner hours. It would work by lighting up the next LED every second for the outer circle, the next LED every minute for the middle and so on. So that each circle would display the second, minute and hour respectively. I hope this makes sense.

What I would like to know is whether this is possible with Arduino and whether it would be beginner friendly.

Thank you in advance, ~Perronicus

So you want to control 132 LEDs. Yes, the Arduino can do it, with some additional hardware.

You could treat the LEDs as a 16x9 matrix using two 8-bit shift registers for the 16 rows and 9 I/O pins for the 9 columns.

You could use addressable LED strips but they are generally more expensive than plain LEDs. If you use an RGB strip you only need 60 LEDs and use colors (Red, Green, and Blue) for Hours, Minutes, and Seconds.

In either case you will need a Real Time Clock (RTC) to keep accurate time or a GPS receiver with a view of the sky.

Thanks for your reply! Which Arduino board would you recommend for the clock? And as a beginner, would you recommend buying an Arduino Uno and following the tutorials on the website before attempting to make the clock?

For a similar project and some very beautiful work see this page.

would you recommend buying an Arduino Uno and following the tutorials on the website before attempting to make the clock?

Always.

Perronicus: Hello.

I have not used Arduino and have no experience with electronics. However I would love to have a go.

I have an idea for a clock that works by having a circle of 60 LEDs, then another circle of 60 LEDs inside the first circle and another circle of 12 LEDs inside that. The outer circle would be seconds, the middle minutes and the inner hours. It would work by lighting up the next LED every second for the outer circle, the next LED every minute for the middle and so on. So that each circle would display the second, minute and hour respectively. I hope this makes sense.

What I would like to know is whether this is possible with Arduino and whether it would be beginner friendly.

Thank you in advance, ~Perronicus

I made an instructable for, let´s say, somthing similar (click me). I recommend the adressable strips. They are more expensible, YES! but you dont have to mess around with hours of soldering,...

I hope i was able to help you with your approach.