Beginner Question: 18650 Lithium Cell

Hello there,

I’m trying to make a arduino powered robot using arduino nano, motorshield and 1 x 6v DC motor + 1 x Towerpro Servo, BLE Module

And to power the above with something with a rechargeable function, I found the 18650 Lithium Cell Batteries laying around.

Now, I want to know would a 3.7v single cell battery ( yes you heard me right. A single cell lithium battery ) with 2800mah enough to power the arduino, motorshield, servo, BLE and 6v DC motor ?

And I think I will need a 3V to 6V step-up converter module as well ? for the DC motor.

I have no experience with lithium cell, So Please advice…

And I think I will need a 3V to 6V step-up converter module as well ?

Yes you will. The servo will take 6V as well as the DC motor.

2800mah enough to power the arduino,

Yes there will always be enough power what ever the capacity but the question is for how long. Remember if you double the voltage with a step up you will double the amount current that it will draw.

but the question is for how long.

I barely need it to come around 1 Hr Minimum. So I hope it can...

Remember if you double the voltage with a step up you will double the amount current that it will draw.

Understood. But is that bad for the battery ? you mean the duration of the battery charge will discharge soon ?

• I have a different question in case. If I want to use 2 Cells instead of 1 and connect them parallel, Does the voltage get double as well or it remains same at 3.7v ?

you mean the duration of the battery charge will discharge soon ?

Yes.

If I want to use 2 Cells instead of 1 and connect them parallel, Does the voltage get double as well or it remains same at 3.7v ?

Batteries in parallel have the same voltage but twice the capacity. Batteries in series have double the voltage but the same capacity.

While many people say there is no problem with batteries in parallel, my experience is that they cross charge in an uncontrolled way and severely limit the number of charge / discharge cycles you can get out of a battery.

Yes, a single 18650 cell is capable of powering your project. For how long? --> calculate the watt hours of your project and compare it with your battery's capacity. :)

rshnk90: I have no experience with lithium cell, So Please advice...

Is your 18650 a protected cell? You might over discharge your battery if you run your motor using an unprotected 18650 and a booster.

Also expect a voltage range of 8.4v max to 6v min (for protected cells) when having 2 cells in series without any converters.

But is that bad for the battery ? you mean the duration of the battery charge will discharge soon ?

Not as long as your current draw is less than the battery's stated max discharge rate.