Beginner's Arduino UNO set up - not able to install correct driver?

Hello All,

Ok, so you're my last hope... I bought myself an Arduino UNO for Christmas, but I'm not having fun yet...

I downloaded the software, but when trying to upload an example, I keep getting the error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
2 days of google searching revealed that this appears to be a common error, but so far I didn't find a fix. Either, it didn't work, or the instructions to fix were too much nerd-speak for me to decipher (I'm NOT an computer geek). But I suspect that the Computer isn't yet communicating with the Arduino.

What I have:

• an old computer with Windows XP
  • an Arduino UNO StarterKit
  • absolutely no clue. I thought I'd learn it all hands-on via an online video workshop, but it seems like I cannot even set this thing up.

What I tried:

• plugging in the Arduino via USB. This produced "Unknown Device" on my Device Manager

• the Arduino starts blinking when connected, so it's getting some power at least

• chose the Arduino UNO in the Tools section. The 'serial port' is preset on COM1, no other option is shown.

• followed the instructions to install the arduino.inf driver from the 'Troubleshooting' Section. Didn't work, I couldn't find the file in the (recently) downloaded software pack.

• found an enhanced download online that promised to install the drivers automatically.

• since then, my Arduino software tells me in the bottom line "Arduino UNO on COM1", but the error message continues.

• opening my Device manager and trying to update the driver by hand: still "unkknown device" and "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

• tinkering with 'update driver' in the device manager, I tried an option saying "Don't search. I will find the driver to install". This sent me to a menu where I could choose 'Arduino' and 'Arduino Uno'.

• The computer installed something, but finished with a error code: "this device cannot start(10)"

• result: my Device Manager now shows a new port labeled "Arduino UNO(COM2)", the "unknown Device" vanished

• problem: when I choose "Tools" and "serial port" in my Arduino software, the only option shown is still "COM1". The error message continues when trying to upload a program.

-multipe computer restarts, both with and without the arduino board plugged in, did not change anything.

So, am I missing something obvious here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Btw, I tried the "Loop-Back Test Instructions". You lost me at point 6., because I don't know what a Terminal Application and a Serial Monitor might be...

Best regards,

Ma-en

The problem described seems to be USB related, I would start troubleshooting by changing the USB cord with one that is known to be good and also trying a different USB port. If possible avoid plugging the Arduino into a USB hub, instead connect it either to a port on the front panel (if any are available) or at the rear of the system unit.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Hello there,

wow, this worked!!! Way cool...
I had only been trying the 2 USB ports on the front of my PC. I hadn't thought that trying the other ports would make a difference, but it sure did.
Now I plugged it into one of the the USB ports on the back, and this time the whole drive install process worked fine (the system reported an "unknown device", but then found the correct driver at once). A new "COM3" appeared on my serial port list, and I switched to that.

Now the red LED on the Arduino is blinking according to my directions... I'm so proud!

Thank you so much for the quick help!
That's awe-inspiring, you know, that you guessed on the right solution on the first try...

Regards,

Ma-en

I'm having a similar problem with the mega. No matter what i do, the arduino environment doesn't recognize it, even though my computer does and says that it has the proper software and that the mega is functioning properly. This didn't happen with the nano, in fact, i didn't even have to install any driver software. Does anybody know what's going on?

Check what USB to serial converter is on your board. It may even be mentioned in the description where you bought the board.

If you can't find it post a link and someone who knows can check.

Arduino: 1.6.4 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xd7

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.
HOW TO SOLVE ABOVE ERROR PLEASE ANY ONE HELP ME

@ bipin123

Don't quite see why you opened a thread from 2015 for windows XP ?

You are new so giving you some GREAT INFO HERE

Additionally there is a box at the top of the page that says "Search the Arduino Forum"
Maybe you should type in something like "stk500" and work through them to find one that matches yours "0xd7"

Just a thought.