Beginner's guidance: GPS Module NEO 6M

Hey everyone, I tried again this afternoon (since it was raining all morning) and honestly is the clearest the sky's been lately, I tried again with the changes @groundFungus told me about but COM3 was empty (been here 20/30 min, still am as I'm writing this just in case) but nothing:

I changed the code for both RX TX pins thinking it'd be that since I'm using the Arduino Pro mini and not UNO but still nothing (I also did tests with only the RX pin but the results were the same). I don't know if there's anything else I can do, I'm almost convinced my GPS module isn't working at all, searched for more information but it added little help or similar stuff to what you guys already told me, thanks again.

With just power applied to the GPS if the LED on it is not flashing then it has not got a fix

1 Like

The GPS should be producing characters as soon as its powered regardless of whether it has a fix.

No characters from a GPS means its either wired wrong or is faulty.

1 Like

You have set the baud rate for the software serial to 4600. The general consensus is that most boards like yours default to 9600. Even if they are mismatched, you should get something, just rubbish characters.

What voltage are you supplying to the GPS board -- 5v or 3.3v? I have found my boards will not work with 3.3v.

Is it feasible to detect the presence of data on the GPS TX pin by directly connecting an LED to it? If not, is there a simple way to physically detect active transmission?

Connect it to an Arduino and read the Serial input :grinning:

I check with my scope, thats easy.

which is what the OP has been trying to do.

well, not everyone has a scop on hand.

I forgot that all you need do is connect the GPS TX to the TX pin of a Nanao or Uno and its TX LED lights up when data is present.

Does the Pro Mini have TX & RX LEDs.

I wonder if this is not the most suitable "first Arduino project".

1 Like

Hey everyone, sorry for late response

I'm supplying 5V.

Now that I've checked...no, it doesn't have TX & RX Leds, just power and status Leds that's it...Does this mean anything?

Of course not, but then if you want an 'easy' way to investigate why the GPS is not working and the most basic of serial copy programs does not appear to work its kind of difficult to use other 'easy' methods to prove a GPS is working ............

A logic analyser is another alternative I guess as is a logic probe.

WARNING : missed sarcasm alert in reply #29

Aaah, gotcha :blush:

Here's a setup I just made using a UNO. The GPS board is probably similar to yours.

The GPS TX is connected to the UNO TX pin and the UNO's RESET pin is grounded (so no sketch is running).

The UNO RX LED lights at 1Hz which is each time the GPS board sends a bunch of sentences. Hence I know the GPS board is transmitting and I can then move to the next step of reading the sentences.

May I ask the reason you chose a Pro Mini for this project? You say you are new to Arduino and this your first project. A UNO is a better board for beginners. It is easier to prove your design works and easier for others to reproduce what you are doing.

Good luck. You'll get there.

1 Like

Actually, no! Definitely not. :roll_eyes:

A Nano is breadboard compatible and with a breadboard, you can make more than one connection to each pin.

1 Like

Hey again, thanks for your reply

I'm thinking of doing something in the future for my thesis project and for that I need it to take few space. Thanks again for your reply.

Thinking about getting this one just to do more tests with it, thanks again

Can you get back to the point you were in in post #15? At least there you were getting something from the GPS, even if it wasn't readable.

Well, I was suggesting that UNO (or Nano) is a better choice than Pro Mini for beginners.

sadetse, If you are using a Pro Mini, how are you programming it?

Do you use an FTDI cable to connect it to the IDE on your PC?