Beginning in a new field

Hello,

I have a sudden interest in an arduino beginners guide. Which handy-hardware would you guys recommend purchasing? ( ex: voltage meter, etc)

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks

Hello,

Nice to hear you are interested in learning Arduino. A good way to start is by buying an Arduino starterskit online, for example on eBay, they are very cheap these days, and some sellers even give you a link where you can download the electronic version of one or more books. As extra hardware you will def need a multimeter, maybe even some extra low cost LED voltage and ampmeters, I have several and find them very useful some times. You might also want to get some extra wires for breadboard connections, since the kit doesn't have many. For a few dollars you can also get an entire E12 series of resistors. Over time you can buy more components, maybe an assortment of sensors (47 of them for less then $10) And capacitors,potmeters.....

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

I hope this helps you to get started,

Yours,

Mike

Take a look at yourduino.com also. Generally well thought out kits, owner Terry King is a regular in the forum, and the site has a nice set of how-to's.

I never found the E12 set of resistors all that useful, too many values you will never use as Arduino is a more digital world than analog.

I think that all depends on you. What are you looking to delve into, the microcontroller , the electronics, or both?

If you are looking to get into the programming end with the microcontroller, then you really need nothing more than the controller and the components you wish to control. Just hook it up like the instructions say and get to programming.

If you are looking at the electronics end, then you are going to be dealing with analog components controlled by digital means, and digital components as well. A voltmeter works well with the analog parts and is handy to start with, but is severely lacking for the digital end. Additional meters and scopes are needed. Depending on how deep you wish to go, a workable hobby type bench can be put together for a couple hundred dollars with bargain hunting and last years (decades) models. It all depends on what you want to do.

If both, then a dvom, adjustable power supply, and a willingness to learn will get you going. A couple transistors, mosfets, resistors, leds, and whatever else you wish to control also helps, but don't dive in too deep too fast. You will miss out on the fundamentals required.