Being able to store data over time somehwere else besides serial monitor

hey guys, so I'm writing a program that uses the serial monitor to interact with the user. However, I want to be collecting data at the same time as I'm running the program but without using the serial monitor, any help?

No problem. Check the Serial for any message. When there's no message do th e loop, else read Serial and store the data.
What's the trouble?

Hints on how to get help on this forum can be found in the "How to use this forum" post.

Railroader:
No problem. Check the Serial for any message. When there's no message do th e loop, else read Serial and store the data.
What's the trouble?

Where exactly would I store the data and how would I be able to access it? I need to be able to use the serial monitor at all times.

Serial.print can be done whenever it's needed. I told about reading Serial for commands etc.

See reply #2.

wolfgrayy:
I'm writing a program that uses the serial monitor to interact with the user. However, I want to be collecting data

So why do you want to use the serial monitor? You will surely be better off using a proper terminal programme like Realterm and recording to hard drive like everybody else does. RealTerm is a freebie. There are others, also free. It sounds like you have already written all the code you need.

Use an SD card to store the data. For about $20 you can store gigabytes. Easy to do too!

-jim lee