Best bluetooth module or wireless module for car remote start

Hello, I plan on using an arduino board to add a remote start to my car. I tried using a HC-05 to communicate with my phone but the range is far too low. The goal is to be able to start my car that’s parked in the street in front of my house from my room. Distance is roughly 50 feet and the signal would have to pass through 1 drywall, 1 brick wall and lastly through the metal trunk which is where the module will be located. It doesn’t have to be bluetooth but I would like to be able to communicate with it from my phone. This is a budget project so best bang for my buck is preferred.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I found the HM-10 bluetooth module but many report very short range instead of the advertised 100 meters and I'm not sure how much impact obstacles will have on that range. Anyone have any experience with a HM-10?

Project does not sound feasible to me.

Dont expect the receiver to work whilst its in a metal box.

I put an HC-05 and Nano inside a mints tin. Nice housing for the electronics package.

There was no problem with communication between the Nano and an Android phone.

I've also put the electronics inside a stainless steel pot and it still communicates with the phone. Not what I expected.

I didn't explore if the metal containers had any effect on range.

John.

ESP8266 module ?

Thanks for the replies. So should I risk getting a hm-10 and attempting to use that? I couldn't even connect to the hc-05 when standing in my front lawn so I believe the chances of the hm-10 might be slim.

What about a hc-12? Could I get 2 of them and activate the arduino in the trunk via button on 1st module (transmitter)? I'm a bit of a noob to this so I'm not familiar with how the rc modules function. Would I be able to maintain a secure connection? I dont want anyone potentially within a 1 km range to have any control over my car.

Lastly what about a wifi module like ESP8266? Would it be possible to connect directly to it via android and Send commands or would it only be possible to send commands when connected to my wifi? Would this potentially have more range than a Bluetooth module?

05silgto: What about a hc-12? Could I get 2 of them and activate the arduino in the trunk via button on 1st module (transmitter)? I'm a bit of a noob to this so I'm not familiar with how the rc modules function.

Thats changing the goalposts quite a bit, once you widen the scope to include Arduino transmitter to Arduino receiver then you can take advantage of some of the very long range wireless modules out there, such as LoRa.

Problem you have is that you need to be really, really, really sure that only your TX can trigger the remote start and that there is zero possibility of the start circuit cutting the engine whilst its running.

You would need to tell the vehicles insurer you have modified the vehicle, and if you told them you had got the details on how to modify the vehicle from an Internet forum, you might expect them to decline the insurance.

srnet:
Thats changing the goalposts quite a bit, once you widen the scope to include Arduino transmitter to Arduino receiver then you can take advantage of some of the very long range wireless modules out there, such as LoRa.

Problem you have is that you need to be really, really, really sure that only your TX can trigger the remote start and that there is zero possibility of the start circuit cutting the engine whilst its running.

You would need to tell the vehicles insurer you have modified the vehicle, and if you told them you had got the details on how to modify the vehicle from an Internet forum, you might expect them to decline the insurance.

Sounds like the transmitter isn’t the ideal choice then. The car wouldn’t turn off as I’m driving it because once the key is in it overrides the remote start. Only problem is I don’t want my car to be starting randomly.

“Lastly what about a wifi module like ESP8266? Would it be possible to connect directly to it via android and Send commands or would it only be possible to send commands when connected to my wifi? Would this potentially have more range than a Bluetooth module?”

This is probably the easiest solution. You can set up an ESP8266 as both an access point and a web server. You could serve up a typical button control page and use that to have the I/O of the ESP8266 to do things with yor car. You use your cell phone to log into the access point, then use the served web page to do things.

Thanks, it sounds like This would be the best module to try. Just to double check your saying that this can connect both to my home wifi so that I can control this from anywhere and my phone can connect to the module as an access point the same time in case wifi isn’t available?

Also does anyone have any experience when it comes to the range of this module with obstructions present?

All the body panels on this car are made out of sheet metal and most likely I’m going to put this module in the trunk since there is a “fuel warmer” there for cold weather starts. I will use the module to activate the fuel warmer only at first as I’m getting ready. Later I will finish the project by adding a nano more towards the front of the car where the the necessary wires are located. I will run 1 wire from the wifi module to the nano via npn transistor which will power the nano when Remote start is activated, which will be programmed to start the engine on power up.

When you run your engine while it is cold without driving it takes a lot longer to heat the engine and the oil. That means you are increasing the time your engine is in a phase where the wear on the engine is higher than normal. Modern engines are also very efficient and therefore do not create a lot of heat while running idle. So, you do not even get a warm car.

That is why car manufacturer now tell you to drive immediately when you started the engine.

If you live in a really cold place (ice and snow) see if there are heaters available for your car model. They use fuel and a little bit of battery for the fans. They are powerful enough to remove ice from your windows and do not stress your engine. These heaters can be remote controlled or programmed to heat the car every morning or at specific times.

Klaus_K: When you run your engine while it is cold without driving it takes a lot longer to heat the engine and the oil. That means you are increasing the time your engine is in a phase where the wear on the engine is higher than normal. Modern engines are also very efficient and therefore do not create a lot of heat while running idle. So, you do not even get a warm car.

That is why car manufacturer now tell you to drive immediately when you started the engine.

If you live in a really cold place (ice and snow) see if there are heaters available for your car model. They use fuel and a little bit of battery for the fans. They are powerful enough to remove ice from your windows and do not stress your engine. These heaters can be remote controlled or programmed to heat the car every morning or at specific times.

Thanks for the advice but this is for a 600+hp supercharged ls2 engine. It warms up pretty fast. I live in Texas so its mostly a warm climate but when the temperature is below 70 degrees it takes a couple of cranks to start the engine as I'm using e85 and e85 does not like cold starts or "cold driving". I believe driving it would put the engine under load which will increase the stress and would not be beneficial if the engine oil is not warmed up yet.

I want to run the fuel heater for a few min. only as it draws 10 amps and then start the engine while the fuel is still warm. I only want to heat up the fuel for the initial startup to reduce wear on the starter and possibly engine wear.(engine always half starts on intial crank but then stumbles to a halt. Its Like some of the cylinders fire but others sort of "misfire" as the fuel fails to vaporize well when cold.) Car also feels very sluggish at startup and I avoid touching the gas pedal as much as possible to avoid possible misfires. High compression engines do not like cold starts especially when combined with a fuel that also doesn't.

It even says in the manual to warm up engine for a few min. before driving in cold weather. Texas weather of course doesn't apply to this but the car is far from stock now.

“Just to double check your saying that this can connect both to my home wifi so that I can control this from anywhere and my phone can connect to the module as an access point the same time in case wifi isn’t available?”

Good thing you double checked because that is not what I said. I said the ESP8266 can act as an access point and also serve web pages. You would directly log into that access point with your phone and download a control web page. No mention of acting as a server on a router network connected to the internet and also being an access point. Might be possible, but haven’t tried that yet. You can see a lot of projects below. Also there are lots of example codes in the Arduino IDE when you download the libraries and board list.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/?s=web+server

zoomkat: "Just to double check your saying that this can connect both to my home wifi so that I can control this from anywhere and my phone can connect to the module as an access point the same time in case wifi isn't available?"

Good thing you double checked because that is not what I said. I said the ESP8266 can act as an access point and also serve web pages. You would directly log into that access point with your phone and download a control web page. No mention of acting as a server on a router network connected to the internet and also being an access point. Might be possible, but haven't tried that yet. You can see a lot of projects below. Also there are lots of example codes in the Arduino IDE when you download the libraries and board list.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/?s=web+server

Okay gotcha thanks. I think I'll just try it as an access point first and see if I can connect to it from my room. I was curious about connecting it to a wifi too in case my phone can't reach that far my home internet might but I would like the functionality to start it with just my phone too. If my phone can reach that far then I don't care about connecting it to a wifi network.

I'm a bit of a noob to arduino and I don't have much experience so I was just gonna find a basic led tutorial that shows how to set it up but then make minor changes to the code to work for my application.

Okay so I tried the Esp8266. I tried the access point mode first and tried to connect to it with the module in my trunk. The range was not good enough but I could connect to it if I walked all the wait up to my front door and kind of play around with my position.

So then I tried setting it up as a station and connected it to my home wifi and again the range wasn't good enough. Then I remembered I had an extra wireless wifi router that I wasn't using. So I hooked the up in the closet location in the house to where I park my car and through that I am able to make a connection.

Looks like there is a way to set this up in both access mode and station but I haven't attempted that yet.

I notice that when I upload a sketch it appears pin 2 is really pin 4, 4 is 2 and etc. Is this common?

"connect to it with the module in my trunk."

It would be better to put the wifi unit on the dash board next to the windshield, maybe in front of the driver, behind the usual dashboard speedometer hump.

zoomkat: "connect to it with the module in my trunk."

It would be better to put the wifi unit on the dash board next to the windshield, maybe in front of the driver, behind the usual dashboard speedometer hump.

There's not really any room to put it in the area you described but there is in the middle console and behind the glovebox. However, there is not a clear view of the windshield from where the car is parked. I could be very wrong but I read that tinted windows actually block signals very well which the car has.

The front room where I have my extra wireless router placed has a huge window with tint. I noticed whenever I place the router on the window sill I don't get signal but in the corner where the wall is the only obstacle I get better signal.

I'm not sure if which will block more of the signal tinted car windows or the metal trunk.

I had another idea since the trunk has a spoiler I cold solder a wire to the wifi board as a antenna and route it through the spoiler bolt hole so a small portion of that wire protudes from the trunk to act as a kind of hidden external antenna. Does this sound feasible at all?

“Does this sound feasible at all?”

Well, about the same as the other stuff, and this is the easy part.