Best board for remote temp/humidity sensor

Hi,

I'm planning to do the following project and have a main question at the moment.
The project will be to have remote temp/humidity sensors to send the data through an xbee wireless card to a raspberry pie which will present the data on either cacti or a LAMP server.

At this moment I'm trying to figure out what will be the best way to build the sensors.
My requirements are:
-Low power consumption
-Battery powered
-"Easy" to program and add the sensor itself to the main board (at least for the first one)
-As cheap as possible

The best option I've seen so far would be using a Fio v3, but I'm not sure about the following:
-Low power consumption
-What does it really mean not being compatible with the Arduino v1.0 IDE. Will it make the programming much more difficult?
-Do I need an xbee module?
What I like from it is that I would only need to add the sensor and should be easy to program, power, etc...

The other option I found would be to just use an xbee module with the sensor itself connected to it. But for some reason seems to be more expensive than the FIO v3.
And it wouldn't be as "easy" to program.

As this is my first project with Arduino, and my programming/electronics skills are rather basic, maybe it's easier to build the first sensor with FIO and then use some more "bare" sensors as I build up my skills.
But would like to confirm if FIO is a good approach or I should definitively consider other options.

Thanks,
Isaac

The project will be to have remote temp/humidity sensors to send the data through an xbee wireless card to a raspberry pie which will present the data on either cacti or a LAMP server.

Is someone giving away Rasberries this week? There seems to be a whole batch of non-Arduino questions here today.

If the Raspberry Pi is just going to send the data to a web server, an Ethernet shield for the Arduino is cheaper and easier.

If there will be a number of Arduino/XBee shield/XBee/temp sensor/humidity sensor nodes, and all the node is doing is collecting temp and humidity data, the Arduino and XBee shield are not needed. The sensors can be connected directly to the XBee.

The other option I found would be to just use an xbee module with the sensor itself connected to it. But for some reason seems to be more expensive than the FIO v3.
And it wouldn't be as "easy" to program.

Perhaps because the FIO doesn't come with the XBee. That is purchased separately.

What does it really mean not being compatible with the Arduino v1.0 IDE.

Where did you get that?

But would like to confirm if FIO is a good approach or I should definitively consider other options.

It's a fine choice. Not the easiest Arduino to upload a sketch to, but it can be done.

Is someone giving away Rasberries this week? There seems to be a whole batch of non-Arduino questions here today.

If the Raspberry Pi is just going to send the data to a web server, an Ethernet shield for the Arduino is cheaper and easier.

If there will be a number of Arduino/XBee shield/XBee/temp sensor/humidity sensor nodes, and all the node is doing is collecting temp and humidity data, the Arduino and XBee shield are not needed. The sensors can be connected directly to the XBee.

I don't think so, but let me know if you find out. I had to buy mine.

The Raspberry Pi is going to be the web server, that was just an overview of the project, not the question itself. My questions were only about the sensors.
There will be a number of xbee sensors.

Perhaps because the FIO doesn't come with the XBee. That is purchased separately.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about this part.

Where did you get that?

From here: http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/atmega32u4-p-1008.html

While the Fio v3 is not yet compatible with the Arduino v1.0 IDE, it's still a very capable XBee-ready development board.

It may be an outdated statement, that's why I wanted to check.

It's a fine choice. Not the easiest Arduino to upload a sketch to, but it can be done.

Thanks, I'll strongly consider the other option with only xbee/sensor as it seems it will meet more requirements than the FIO board.

Newark and RS online are ramping up production, and many of us that ordered our R-pi's in February are now getting delivery. Personally, I ordered mine early, and then got bored waiting for it, and ordered an Uno kit. I've been busy and haven't had the time to set mine up.

Did you not have one in your box of cornflakes :smiley:

Did you not have one in your box of cornflakes

There's the problem. I don't eat cornflakes. Guess I could buy a box just for the Raspberry Pi, and then post an annoying question about it. Maybe on the PIC forum. Yeah, that's the place.

PaulS,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but my question wasn't about Raspberry pi.

I had a couple of questions, if you want to check, and they were related on FIO+xbee+sensor against xbee+sensor.
Related to easiness to use, power consumption, etc...

The comment about Raspberry Pi was in the description of what I want to do, just to give an idea. In any case I mentioned it after that point.

In any case, I don't think you have to reply to annoying questions.