Best breakout to use for steady, low linear acceleration

I want to do automotive measurements while driving, which means we're talking only a Gee or 2 and the need for a steady stream of jitter-free data in 1 linear direction is far more important than having a huge acceleration range or shock detection or anything like that.

Most of the common breakout boards I have seen, or own myself have 1 of 2 problems regarding my application:

1. They only measure rotational acceleration values, which are useless to me
  2. The actual numbers I see in the serial output jump all over the place, even on the so-called "calibrated" units and don't appear to have any meaning either. What does -761 mean? Milli-Gees?

Anyway, I'm going to assume that I just don't understand how they work and am asking if someone can recommend a breakout board which has an arduino library, sample sketches and which will work for low Gee values in a linear direction, with low jitter on the output.

I own a GY-85 but as far as I'm aware that has rotational accelerometer, right? When I see it tested in youtube vids the values only change when the board is rotated. I'm assuming therefore that I can't use it for a vehicle application?

Thank you.

I would pursue your research as follows.

1. Look up some accelerometer boards on the net.
  2. Flag those that deal with 3 axis linear acceleration, and are compatible with Arduino.
  3. Now go find out which of these have an Arduino library available. The libraries usually have example programs to instruct you in how to read and interpret the acceleration readings.

Bear in mind that accelerometers only measure acceleration, and don't do that accurately unless very carefully aligned on the moving object. GPS can provide acceleration readings with very good accuracy, and a lot lighter mathematical load.