Best half bridge driver with shoot through protection for h bridge.

I am trying to make an n channel h bridge motor driver with an electronic brake function. I have tried following this tutorial but im left confused as to whether the driver will make the motor stop rapidly as it would in e.g an l298n h bridge driver, just by setting the SD pin to LOW (Which shuts down the h bridge driver). As i know that setting the “HIN” and “LIN” pins to high will short out my battery and fets.

Later in the tutorial is shown that the HIN from the from one half bridge is connected to the LIN of the other and LIN is connected to HIN to enable the use of two pins. As shown by the image uploaded below. Will that enable me to set both pins to HIGH to “brake” the motor (not regenerative braking). without destroying the system?

Hi, using the diagram you have posted, turning LIN1 ans LIN2 High should turn Q2 and Q4 on, this should gnd both terminals of the motor and leave Q1 and Q3 open.
Your diagram does not show LIN and HIN cross connected.
Tom.... :slight_smile:

That MOSFET driver has no shoot-through prevention so will not save you from
yourself.

With cross-connected 2-pin drive you can't do static braking, only regenerative by
setting the output drive below the current speed (in other words use as a 4-quadrant
controller, which requires a rechargable battery power supply.).

At low speeds you can engage mild reverse drive levels to hasten stopping, you will
need to detect actual motor speed for this. A PID control loop is a good way to
manage speed control here I think.

[ BTW there is no "best" half-bridge driver, since requirements differ - given a
particular set of requirements there will be a pecking order ]

tawandapro:
I am trying to make an n channel h bridge motor driver with an electronic brake function. I have tried following this tutorial but im left confused as to whether the driver will make the motor stop rapidly as it would in e.g an l298n h bridge driver, just by setting the SD pin to LOW (Which shuts down the h bridge driver). As i know that setting the "HIN" and "LIN" pins to high will short out my battery and fets.

Later in the tutorial is shown that the HIN from the from one half bridge is connected to the LIN of the other and LIN is connected to HIN to enable the use of two pins. As shown by the image uploaded below. Will that enable me to set both pins to HIGH to "brake" the motor (not regenerative braking). without destroying the system?

I think the IR-2112 (and other bridge drivers) do have the anti-shoot-through time delay that you are referring to. This prevents the high side mosfet and low side mosfet from being on at the same time.

I think the IR-2112 (and other bridge drivers) do have the anti-shoot-through time delay that you are referring to. This prevents the high side mosfet and low side mosfet from being on at the same time.

thanks i will have a look at that and see.

At low speeds you can engage mild reverse drive levels to hasten stopping, you will
need to detect actual motor speed for this. A PID control loop is a good way to
manage speed control here I think.

i have through of that. but i was worried that it might create some current spikes that can damage the mosfets.