Best HTML + ?? for graphic interphase in Home Automation?

Hello,

I use my iphone to control my home automation. I use my arduino mega + ethernet shield as HTML web server and I connect to it in my home and outside by a static domain.

At the beginnin, all the controls was inside one web. At the end, I did different webs, including a index web for overview the whole home automatiun status.

I don't want to use an specific mobile language of programming (android, iOs, etc...) because I want it to be used in all the gadgets.
However, I would like to improve the visual performance in order to put more information in less space, and at the same time, to reduce the time spent by arduino sending the WEB.

Here you can find some snapshots of what I'm using nowadays:

Index web:

Section of outside light:

Hourly program for the heating system:

Configuration of the window sunblades:

What is the best option for me?.

1. HTML5+CSS3 in a webserver inside arduino
  2. Online web + some kind of PHP comunication with my arduino
  3. keep my actual design because if I develop other solutions, I will lose speed.

Thanks in advance

Very nice :slight_smile:

Can you please share the code ?

Thank you in advance.

warloofer:
What is the best option for me?.

1. HTML5+CSS3 in a webserver inside arduino
  2. Online web + some kind of PHP comunication with my arduino
  3. keep my actual design because if I develop other solutions, I will lose speed.

Thanks in advance

Just my opinion here.

1. If you use the Mega, you are still limited to the relatively small limits of the Mega CPU cycles, RAM and the reduced throughput of the Ethernet shield.

2. Would work. Gives you the highly significant benefit of being able to use server side resources and code. Is initially inexpensive. The architecture is a quite a bit more complicated because you have to manage the link with the Arduino. Over time the cost mounts up, if you are having to pay for hosting or even just the electricity to power a PC based web server in your own home.

3. Not a solution. You already said you want to develop a richer interface.

4. There is a halfway house between 1 and 2, which is the route I would favour.

Arduino have launched the Yun, which ties an Arduino to a more or less standard Linux SoC; complete with enough CPU and RAM to run a fully fledged PHP enabled web server. The Yun was designed exactly for your purpose you describe and provides you the potential for a single board solution. I have no idea how good or bad the Yun is, as I don't have one yet. You might want to make enquiries in the Yun forum.

If the Yun is too expensive, there are other GPIO friendly SoCs running Linux, such as the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black, both of which I do have. Apart from the cost, the RasPi and BBB both offer even more CPU and RAM than the Yun. The downsides are another board, more power needed to run them and possibly the learning curve of an additional programming language.

HTH