Best Software Serial for Atmega1284P

I plan to have one Atmega1284P talk to six Mega2560 boards, one at a time only.
Is there any reason to use something other the standard Software Serial in IDE 1.8.12 for that?

CrossRoads:
Is there any reason to use something other the standard Software Serial in IDE 1.8.12 for that?

Yes, the year is 2020. Software Serial sounds a bit old school. :slight_smile:

Klaus_K:
Yes, the year is 2020. Software Serial sounds a bit old school. :slight_smile:

What alternative have you in mind?

…R

CrossRoads:
I plan to have one Atmega1284P talk to six Mega2560 boards, one at a time only.

Have you considered using I2C? It should work fine over a distance of a few metres.

Arduino to Arduino I2C Tutorial

This MegaPoints YouTube Video shows I2C working over 100m of cable. The MegaPoints boards use Atmega microprocessors.

...R

Got some hardware set up 1284P - Mega - Motor Driver - Motor

Will give the stock software serial a try and see how it goes.
The others seem to have been initial libraries with interrupts to replace the polled software serial from 7-8 years ago, and it looks like New Software Serial became Software Serial.

I can play around with running it from various pairs of pins and see how it goes.

I'm favoring this vs something that needs unique code on each Mega (I2C), with the only unique code being on the 1284P. Just starting this multiprocessor project, so things may change.

doesn’t 1284 have more hardware Serials?

edit: yes, it has two USART

Robin2:
What alternative have you in mind?

Silicon. This should be done in silicon. :slight_smile: SPI, I2C, UART ... just as long as it is done in hardware. :slight_smile:

Please read what I have going on over here

I'd merge, but the forum isn't letting me.

I have the code I'm running and the error I see with software serial.