Best Target For VL53l0x sensor

My project is based on Target Tracking. I am using VL53l0X for tracking the traget, But my VL53l0X is not detecting the the target after 500mm. My target is a white PVC pipe of diameter 1.5 inches.
Before that i was using SHARP IR sensor but it has some reflection problems and variation in readings so i decided for this VL53L0X but unfortunately this is more disappointing. I don’t know why. Kindly tell me weather the problem is with the Target or Sensor.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

A picture of you project would help also.
We have no idea how you scan for the object.
Please supply a link to data/specs on your sensor.
What model Arduino are you using?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

I know the data sheet says up to 2m range but in practice most people get a range of 150mm, at 500mm you are doing very well.

I suspect it is the curved nature of your target that is giving you this limit.

Here is the picture of project and the VL53L0x i am using.
If you have any suggestions about the shape and dimension of the target kindly share.

Hi,
Ops pics.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
I suspect it is the curved nature of your target that is giving you this limit.

I agree when you look at the picture, the pipe is a convex surface so only a very small area will be reflecting directly back to the sensor.

So any suggestions regarding this scenario because i the area is 90 degree. And the target will move in a straight line if i use a flat surface then the beam will be not be reflected to the sensor because of variation in incident angle at every point of the target trajectory.

Maybe some 3M-Scotchlite-Reflective-Tape would work.

dougp:
Maybe some 3M-Scotchlite-Reflective-Tape would work.

Yes, good suggestion to increase the limited amount of reflected light going directly back to the sensor.