Best way to acknow. Beep sound?

I have a device that makes a Beep sound and I need to be able to grasp its beep exactly as it makes so basically I need to sense the sound , The device makes that sound obviosly via. a speaker and it has vents in the plastic casing in which the speaker is fitted and I'm thinking that if I be able to grasp that sound in some sort of a sensor through that vent.

Can you get inside the case and actually connect to the speaker electrically?

Can you get inside the case and actually connect to the speaker electrically?

If this could have been feasible then yes its the simplest of the ideas but I’m not allowed to go inside and hack!

So you need a sound sensor..

Easy way is to use one of THESE: which has both Analog and Digital outputs. You can set the sensitivity of the digital output to avoid background noises, or do some more sophisticated timing etc. with the analog data.

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

So you need a sound sensor..

Yes its definitely a sound sensor to be used here!

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

Well, if its right for my implication I have no problem buying it from anywhere! The only this is the shipping cost would be 5 times for what actually is the cost of this sensor.

NI$HANT:
Well, if its right for my implication I have no problem buying it from anywhere! The only thing is the shipping cost would be 5 times for what actually is the cost of this sensor.

Unfortunately, from America, that is usually the case. Something about their mail system ...

Any way terry I can develop it myself in my lab with the right component names and schematics would be great.

You could use an electret mic and LM392. The LM392 is an op amp and a comparator in an 8-pin package, and can be run from a sigle 5V supply. Use the op amp as an amplifier + precision rectifier, and the comparator to produce a digital output when the rectifier output exceed the desired threshold.

Or if the beep is a single frequency (and known), you could use a mic feeding a pre-amp going to a tone decoder chip like a LM567.
It would reduce the number of false triggers caused by other background noises.

you could use a mic feeding a pre-amp going to a tone decoder chip like a LM567.

That's a good idea.. And I THINK the LM567 is pretty sensitive. Maybe an electret condenser mike would put out enough when taped on the beeping device to do it..

Spec. sheet sez:
Input Resistance 20 k?
Smallest Detectable Input Voltage 20 mVrms

Sounds (!) workable...

Any suggestions about the type of mike I may use? Also any place I can buy it from ?

NI$HANT:
Any suggestions about the type of mike I may use? Also any place I can buy it from ?

Well, here's one, but not the only one.

Here's another.

NI$HANT:

Search for “electret microphone” on eBay.

Here's sound sensor (similar to the one terryking228 suggested) available in India: http://www.digibay.in/sensor/sound/voice-sound-detector-switch-module-arduino-supported

You might also want to check out couple of other sound sensors on their site: http://www.digibay.in/sensor/sound

I already got the sound mic board all assembled from dx.