Best way to connect this chip to my Arduino?

I have this chip:

Everything else I've ever connected to my Arduino was shields so they snapped right in or they had screw terminals so I could easily hold my wires in place. I ordered this chip and was a bit surprised that it's really just what's shown in the pictures - there's no obvious way for how to hold wires in place. The ports are really just holes that go right through the board (wafer?) itself. I also failed to appreciate just how small it was when I ordered it - it's maybe half an inch in each direction.

So I'm curious: how should I connect this chip to my Arduino? I think I need a solution that will hold the chip in place since it's a compass (it wouldn't do to have it not keep its rotation fixed with the rest of my machine) but also let me easily remove it and reattach it elsewhere, since I'm still adding components to the system and I'm not sure what I want the final arrangement to be since I'm not sure what the final list of components will be.

I would solder some female headers to the board.

Then you can use male/male connectors to get it the Arduino.

Fix the chip down temporarily in a method that will suit your developing project.

Edit: It looks like they have soldered on some headers in the Bildr thing they link to
http://bildr.org/2011/01/hmc6352/

bigred1212:
I would solder some female headers to the board.

Then you can use male/male connectors to get it the Arduino.

Fix the chip down temporarily in a method that will suit your developing project.

Edit: It looks like they have soldered on some headers in the Bildr thing they link to
http://bildr.org/2011/01/hmc6352/

Hi - thanks for the advice. I ordered the female headers... now my next problem is that I've never soldered anything in my life... I think IEEE offers lessons on how to do that on a regular basis on campus... I should figure out when they're doing it next...

I don't know why you would be surprised that they delivered what was shown in the photo, unless you normally buy from eBay :slight_smile:

Anyway get a 1x4 header and some wires with Dupont connectors.

Rob

It isn't hard- you can pick it up. Lots on online tutorials.

Buy some cheap prototyping board:

and some one penny resistors:

and go to town. Can't mess anything up.

Try out a basic kit:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C6445

If you ask, people will be MORE than willing to recommend their favorite soldering setup, from iron to everything on down.

ArtOfWarfare:
I also failed to appreciate just how small it was when I ordered it - it's maybe half an inch in each direction.

heh-heh, i know the feeling - infact the first time i actually got the Uno, i was surprised how small it was !!
seems to me the majority of pictures on the web of components and boards are BIGGER than life-size - it took a while before i got used to the scale of things ! :smiley:

i've also been putting off starting on soldering, have mainly been buying components that had headers on them so that one just connects them with jumpers. (male-male, and male-female)

the tutorial at SparkFun for soldering looks pretty good and easy to follow if you're ready to take the plunge.