Best way to cover lengths of wire?

I've got a hydroponics system set up and there are numerous wires going in and out of my project box due to all the sensors and pumps I have to read and control. Right now I have the wires just twisted together, for example the negative and positive and data wire of a sensor, but I want to cover it up with something.

Uhhh... just get massive lengths of shrink tubing? Or is there a better thing to use?

I believe the correct term is "wire loom". You can get some braided stuff that's pretty nice looking or the "split loom" tubing type.

pert:
I believe the correct term is "wire loom". You can get some braided stuff that's pretty nice looking or the "split loom" tubing type.

There's no way to cover my wires with the normal insulating material that comes standard on pre-made wires? Like the rubbery/vinyl-y material that extension cords use?

Just buy wire with the correct number of conductors.

pert:
Just buy wire with the correct number of conductors.

Yeah, too late for that now. First project. I just bought a cheap 100 foot extension cable for like $8 and used the three 16GA strands in there for all my wire needs.

A little more information would be helpful.

For instance, are the wires in a wet or dry environment.

Is there a chance that they might get pulled.

Is there a chance that they may get bumped or cut.

How long is the wire that you are using.

If you're in a wet environment, I recommend a waterproof enclosure to house them. for a dry environment,Insulated connectors can be used. Don't just twist them together. It is not a reliable connection.

If they're likely to get pulled, you need to use some sort of stress relief.

If there likely to get bumped and cut you need to use some kind of armor, such as conduit, Plastic or metal.

The longer the wire, the more it will stretch and shrink with temperature swings. A long wire Tightly stretched, can pull the connections apart. You may need to leave some slack to compensate for this.

We need to know what, how, and where you're using it. Any information you can give us will help. But please be more specific.

fuzzybabybunny:
There’s no way to cover my wires with the normal insulating material that comes standard on pre-made wires? Like the rubbery/vinyl-y material that extension cords use?

In short no, that’s hot-extruded in a massive industrial machine.

You can get abrasion-protective sleeving, google “braided cable sleeving” but its not
insulating, just an open mesh designed to group and physically protect cabling.

Hi,

Can you post us a picture of what your wiring looks like where you have to cover it up.

We may be able to give you a better solution to your problem.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Maybe you can use long pvc tube if it's feasible.

Spiral wrap ? Don't know what it is, then just google it

jackrae:
Spiral wrap ? Don't know what it is, then just google it

IF your project is outside, then be sure to get black spiral wrap, or marked as UV protected. Otherwise it gets hard and brittle and falls apart.

I got my last bundle at an auto parts store. If you need longer, Google can help.

Paul

Use nylon ‘parachute’ cord.

Top image:
2016-02-22_22-47-40.png

See this PDF for instructions:

There is sleving avalaile:

Spiral wrap, as suggested, is good too.

Google ‘Split Wireloom’.