Best way to get a MEGA on wifi

Hey there

Working on a monitoring system and I'm looking for ways to get it online so I can incorporate it with some online apps.

I'm using a MEGA because of the number of I/O I ended up using so I can't really convert my project to something like a NODE MCU. I do have a ESP-01 ESP8266 module and would like to check out some recommend tutorials on how to get it set up.

My problem is whenever I start searching; forum topics and tutorials always seem to end up recommending something like the NodeMcu or other comparable device which I really can't do. I'm admittedly bad at searching so I'm sure I'm just asking the wrong questions.

Thanks!

to give you some background, read WiFi Module ESP8266 – 1. Getting started with AT commands | alselectro

If you don't want to deal with AT commands, there are libraries that you can use.
One such library is GitHub - bportaluri/WiFiEsp: Arduino WiFi library for ESP8266 modules
There are one or two other ones.

You will need a 3.3V power source. The Arduino's 3.3V is not adequate.

There is a swag of posts on getting ESP workling together with Uno. The problem is the same but probably easier, as you have more serial ports. You will surely need this if you haven't got it already, and perhaps this will be of interest.

Nick_Pyner:
There is a swag of posts on getting ESP workling together with Uno. The problem is the same but probably easier, as you have more serial ports. You will surely need this if you haven't got it already.

If I do a Google search using 'ESP8266' and 'Arduino Uno', I mostly find tutorials about installing the ESP8266 Arduino Core onto a module with the ESP8266 IC.
That is what the OP is referring to.

If you know of a good tutorial, please share the link.

I know of Martyn Currey's website. Are there others?

I pass them by as I have a NODE-MCU and previously used a WiFi repeater off an Ethernet shield. OP is merely looking at ways to get on line. I assumed that meant IoT.

Beginner's guide to ESP8266 with Arduino core.

Nick_Pyner:
OP is merely looking at ways to get on line. I assumed that meant IoT.

The OP is very specific about what he wants. It is stated in the subject line

He already has the Mega, so he wants to use the ESP-01 module to go wireless.

groundFungus:
Beginner's guide to ESP8266 with Arduino core.

How does that work for the OP?

He already has the Mega. That's what he wants to use.

I'm using a MEGA because of the number of I/O I ended up using so I can't really convert my project to something like a NODE MCU. I do have a ESP-01 ESP8266 module and would like to check out some recommend tutorials on how to get it set up.

I guess that I misinterpreted the intent of the quoted statement.

It should be easier to connect an ESP-01 to a Mega, because a Mega has three spare hardware serial ports.
Don't use SoftwareSerial as used in many Uno examples. Use one of those TX/RX sets (pin14-19).
There is an MultiSerial example sketch in the IDE, showing how to use those ports.
File>Examples>04.Communication>MultiSerial.
Leo..

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been caught up in a number of other things.