best way to make this bb sketch standalone

This is what I have now:

It does not need a computer connection; happy with battery. I want to make it standalone. (I have spent hours/days looking here and elsewhere and everyone seems to be putting tutorials up on how to MAKE another Arduino, or they all use, wi-fi, or need a computer connection. I just not advanced enough to pick out the salient steps for my dinky project/problem.)

Here's what I have to work with that might be useful:

• Arduino bootloader-programmed chips (Atmega328P) from Adafruit
  • Adafruit Perma-Proto breadboard
  • Freeduino Arduino-compatible Runtime board Rev B
  • AVR mini dev. board (kit?) from Adafruit and Evil Mad Scientist Labs
    (has led, cap, socket & resistors
  • half-size breadboards (I would like this very much as it would obviate soldering! lol)
  • shift registers (74HC595 from Adafruit)
  • 16 MHz crystal

And don't laugh that I want this to be stand alone. This was my first project 4 years ago and I loved it and I want to keep the sucker as a souvenir!

IMPORTANT question for my geek future beyond this project:
Can I remove the current Uno chip -- put in an Adafruit one, send the sketch to it, remove it for my project and reinsert the original Uno chip?

When a kind, patient helper here picks from the list above, please advise on first step.

Undying gratitude will follow you all the days of your life!

Cheers

I would buy an Arduino prototype shield ( SparkFun ProtoShield Kit - DEV-13820 - SparkFun Electronics ) and transfer the circuitry currently on the breadboard to the prototype shield. Stack the prototype shield on top of the Arduino Uno.

Thanks - but I can't buy another Arduino or a shield. I already have the Programmed ATmega chips. And I only need to run it with a battery. Was trying to find out if I already had something that I could work with.

But thanks for replying.

It is very easy to create a standalone Atmega 328 running on its internal 8MHz clock. See this Tutorial.

It is not much more expensive to use a nano or mini.

...R

clair:
Can I remove the current Uno chip – put in an Adafruit one, send the sketch to it, remove it for my project and reinsert the original Uno chip?

Yes.

As Robin2 mentioned, use a mini
~$2.00 all parts on thePCB
Mini eBay

Robin2 and Henry and Larry --
Thank you -- so much. I can do that! Am especially glad to have Henry's answer of Yes.
That means I can preserve my original Uno chip.

And the tutorial is wonderful, Robin. I'm going to have fun tomorrow!.

Thanks again.

Clair

What is the point of preserving your Uno chip?

Can you explain that?

There is nothing terribly unique about the Uno chip.
The code is in your sketch.

I am not understanding.

I believe it was for sentimental value, the first project on the first Arduino chip. I could be wrong though.

Newtonian -- you are right.

It's not the chip I want to preserve, it's the Arduino Uno I want to free up. But I want to preserve the physical project in working, stand-alone form. Hence my question.

clair:
Newtonian -- you are right.

It's not the chip I want to preserve, it's the Arduino Uno I want to free up. But I want to preserve the physical project in working, stand-alone form. Hence my question.

An Arduino Uno R3 clone on eBay is $10.

And you're going to leave the breadboard as is? If I was going to "preserve" something, I would clean it up first by eliminating the breadboard because it is amateurish.

I listed the things I have to work with in my initial post, but no one indicated that I could use any of them. I know it is messy, but my first requirement is to preserve a working version OFF the Arduino Uno --

And, I thank you for the clone advice, but I've read a lot of comments about unworking versions bought from eBay.

Anyway, thanks much for responding.

Cheers,
Clair

clair:
but no one indicated that I could use any of them.

I guess I attached more weight to your Title than to your text.

You can certainly upload a program to an Uno and then (when it is switched off) remove the 328 chip and replace it with another chip that has the bootloader on it and then upload a different program to the second 328.

Later if you replace the first 328 in your Uno it will run the first program.

However if you want to run the program in the first 328 on (say) a breadboard the fact that it was uploaded on the Uno may make things more complex because you will need the external components to make the chip run at 16MHz. Whereas if you program the 328 while it is on the breadboard you can run it at 8MHz with very few external components. I hope that makes sense.

It is also worth considering that it is probably quicker to upload a program to an Uno than it is to change the 328 chip. And uploading does not run the risk of plugging the chip in the wrong holes and ruining it (been there, done that).

You have provided a list of parts in your Original Post but you have not explained what you are thinking of doing with them.

...R

Hi Robin2 -- thanks for re-visiting.

The parts list was just to say what things I had available that MIGHT be useful in getting my sketch to be stand alone so I could free up the Uno and use it to fiddle with other stuff.

I will research your suggestions about the best way to go of your suggestions, for which I thank you. I think they will prove useful in helping to further my understand of things -- remember I am a beginner!

Cheers