Best Way to stop 'blink' for text on TFT Screen

Hello I was wondering if someone could help me with some code I’m working on. Right now im making a simple voltmeter that i want to output realtime voltage values onto a TFT screen. Because i am using a font other than the original stock font, i cannot pass a secondary background color into the
void setTextColor(uint16_t color, uint16_t backgroundcolor); from the adafruit_gfx library. So what I am thinking is converting this output float value to a character string. It would be a a total length of 5 characters (example: float volt = 14.45 —> char volt = {1, 4, ., 4, 5}). From there the program would compare the character string to the value of the string before it and only update and change the character if it differs. Im trying to explain this the best i can and I’m a little rusty on character strings. Please help me out and feel free to ask questions.

It's all a bit abstract without seeing your code, which you should anyway post. Your problem appears to be that you don't like the screen blinking and believe that a solution would be to change the datatype of the result in the display. There may be a better way of achieving this e.g. through setting a range of values so the screen is updated only if there is meaningful change in the result.

thanks for the quick response, heres the code i have. As it stands now it blinks and i either don't want it to or i just want it to less. It prints voltage, delays half a sec then prints over the last voltage in the same color as the background color.

void loop() {
 voltMeter();

delay(500);

tft.setTextColor(BLACK);
 tft.setCursor(60, 260);
 tft.print(vin,2);
}

void voltMeter(){
 tft.setFont(&FreeSansBold24pt7b);
 tft.setTextSize(1);
 tft.setTextColor(GREEN, BLACK);
 tft.setCursor(60, 260);
 vout = (analogRead(analogInput) *5)/1023.0; 
 vin = vout / (R2/(R1+R2)); 
 tft.print(vin,2);
}

How about only printing the voltage when it changes ?

correct thats what i would like to eventually figure in, however the voltage will range anywhere from 12V-15V (car application) so it will always be changing as there are multiple devices drawing from my system (battery + alternator combination) I wold like to display real-time voltage without the annoying “blink” every update

bump

Possibly to do with

tft.setTextColor(BLACK);

tft.setTextColor(GREEN, BLACK);

One, or the other, and likely both, is/are redundant.