Best way to supply an Arduino nano

Hello,

I want to supply an Arduino nano with battery, and because I want to be as light as it can be, I cannot use Sealed Lead Acid 6V batteries. I have found this new type of battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2800mWh-AA-NiZn-1-6V-Volt-Rechargeable-Battery-2A-AM3-UM3-KR6-Ultracell-Green/190598555558?hash=item2c608f27a6%3Ag%3AZYgAAOxyOM5RZOE0&_sacat=0&_nkw=2+2800mWh+AA+NiZn+1.6V+Volt+Rechargeable+Battery+2A+AM3+UM3+KR6+Ultracell+Green&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

I am thinking of using 4 of them so I take 6*1.6 = 6.4 volt and a dc-dc-step down converter to go to 5 Volt and supply the Arduino but I do not know if this will work...

Do you know any better way to supply the Arduino nano? Has anyone experience with NiZn batteries? What current they can give (max) per hour?

Nothing new about nizn cells.

Should work ok ie 41.6… Not 61.6 as you quoted.
Discharge should be 1c max I’d imagine BUT at that rate the capacity would suffer.
Check on the battery specs. online.

Some mob out there should know for certain.

Necessary to charge correctly.
Did you also buy the recommended charger…???

Alternative would be 5 cells feeding the raw input and forget the converter.

if your using buck, then feed the well regulated 5V line straight to the 5V pin of nano, not the Vin pin, yes, to bypass the linear regulator and conserve some battery juice, u might want to take all led’s too off the nano board

If you want lightweight battery power why not use Lipo (lithium polymer) like most people do? Nickel cells are relatively heavy.

Steve

The other thing I thought of is using this one:

Details about 12000mAh 18650 Flashlight Power Bank Cell Battery Li-Ion Battery Durable

with this one:

Portable-USB-Mobile-Power-Bank-Charger-Pack-Box-Battery-Case-for-1-x-18650-New

and make a small powerbank that outputs 5 Volts/1 A. Has anyone tried this and worked? What is your opinion?

What about 3 x AA alkaline cells (4.5v) connected to the 5v pin?

Even better use a 3.3v Arduino, or just an 8MHz Atmega 328 on a piece of stripboard and power it from 2 x AA cells (3v). An Atmega on stripboard could also be powered by a 1S LiPo (3.7v to 4.2v)

...R

Robin2: What about 3 x AA alkaline cells (4.5v) connected to the 5v pin?

Even better use a 3.3v Arduino, or just an 8MHz Atmega 328 on a piece of stripboard and power it from 2 x AA cells (3v). An Atmega on stripboard could also be powered by a 1S LiPo (3.7v to 4.2v)

...R

It doesn't matter that I need 5V and the 3 cells provide 4.5V? And if I start with 4.5V when they start discharging won't they go lower than 4.5 Volt?

I have a pack of 3 x AA cells that I have used quite a bit. I tested the voltage just now and it as 4.2v with nothing connected. It was happily powering an Uno earlier today. I believe the Atmega 328 will run at 16MHz with a voltage as low as 3.8v. But check the datasheet in case I have misread it.

...R

it really depends on what you are going to do with the Arduino itself. If you have a lot of output needs then you will need more available power to drive all the pins and if that's the case then you will more than likely need to use a stronger Voltage Regulator. if not, then a small 3.7 lipo will work fine. I have a project that im using a 3.3v ProMini and applied a 3.7 lipo straight to the VCC pin.... I have yet to have an issue. I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing to a 5v board

What is this project??

Reading temperature. Can the nano supplied with 5 Volts from a pin? I mean without using USB?

360modena_cs: Can the nano supplied with 5 Volts from a pin? I mean without using USB?

This is an example of why you should supply as much info about your project first post. Eliminates a long drawn out discussion trying to get to the point. Module cannot give out more than you supply. Answers were given as you asked how best to "run" it. Details on your last query should be in the specs, so have you read it?

@bluejets: Ok, my mistake...

I want multiple Arduinos nano connected to an RFs/WiFis modules to read temperatures and send them to a central Arduino connected to an RF/Wifi module... (many routers to one coordinator).

What choices do I have? I need low cost RF/WIFI modules (up to 3-4 euros/wireless module) not Xbees.

360modena_cs: What choices do I have? I need low cost RF/WIFI modules (up to 3-4 euros/wireless module) not Xbees.

I have built several projects using nRF24L01+ wireless modules (which are 3.3v modules) using an Atmega328 on a piece of stripboard and the whole thing powered with a pair of AA alkaline cells.

I have also built some breadboard tests with ESP8266 WiFi modules powered the same way.

...R

Robin2: I have built several projects using nRF24L01+ wireless modules (which are 3.3v modules) using an Atmega328 on a piece of stripboard and the whole thing powered with a pair of AA alkaline cells.

I have also built some breadboard tests with ESP8266 WiFi modules powered the same way.

...R

Thank you!

Can they work as I describe above? many nodes sending to one node?

I found this battery on ebay. It is quite nice, great for my robotic project. Light weight, small foot print and it last more than an hour for the nano, if you don’t draw much current from the nano and very in expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Drive-2200mAh-USB-Portable-Power-Bank-Phone-Charger-Red-color/292290446751?hash=item440dde459f%3Ag%3Anu4AAOSwSTRZ3uAg&_sacat=0&_nkw=Auto+Drive+2200mAh+USB+Portable+Power+Bank&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

360modena_cs: Can they work as I describe above? many nodes sending to one node?

Yes.

Have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial.

It includes an example for a master and 2 slaves that can easily be extended to a larger number of slaves.

...R

@Robin2: Thanks for the input, I am reading it, very nice tutorial...

Something I want to ask, I see here this guy selling nRF24L01+ modules:

nRF24L01+

saying something about shields and interference I would have if not use shields on nRF24L01+. In ebay the modules they sell are unshielded.

Is interference something I am going to face, or does it happen rarely? I am going to use the Wireless Sensor Network on open space..

Thank you.

360modena_cs: saying something about shields and interference I would have if not use shields on nRF24L01+. In ebay the modules they sell are unshielded.

I don't have any advice to offer. I have never used a high-power nRF24 and that is the first I heard of shielded modules.

...R