best way to transmit 500' data to be displayed

Thank you in advance for any help and guidance.

I have an awesome place on the waters edge to collect some weather data. My setup is a reed switch anemometer mounted on an old enclosure. I also have a radiation shield with a LM35 temp sensor that mounts under it. Im currently working on a reed switch wind vane that mounts next to anemometer.

Im getting a little concerned about displaying my data 500’ away. From other posts it looks like this cable length is out of the question.

Am I going to have to go with xbees? Im terrible at code so this is a little intimidating. All sensors currently
Display to PWM driven panel meters. Im open to change my display type if there is a better solution.

As you can see in the enclosure, everthing is mocked up before i purchase anymore hardware.

Thanks
Ken

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know the answer but I think it would help of if you add "transmit data 500ft" to your title - because that is the real problem, not weather data.

If you edit your Original Post you can chage the title.

...R

Am I going to have to go with xbees? Im terrible at code so this is a little intimidating. All sensors currently Display to PWM driven panel meters. Im open to change my display type if there is a better solution.

Once configured, XBees simply replace wires. No code changes are needed. XBees would have the range needed, but that is not the only criteria you need to consider. For instance, XBees can't be used to stream video, because they are too slow.

How much data? How often? How critical is it that the data gets through? How far (you've already answered this one)?

It would probably be updating every 5 seconds and be transmitting 5 parameters.

I see this starter kit from sparkfun the range is a little short though.

Perhaps i could get the shield, explorer and a matching pair of more powerful xbees individually.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13197

The APC220 (APC220)claims to have 1000 meter range. $30.00 a pair, with USB to serial adapter. They are pretty simple to use once set up using the RF Magic configuration utility. They look like a serial port to the program. 19200 baud air data (radio) rate. I have used them and they really work well.

From other posts it looks like this cable length is out of the question.

Using a wireless data link may be more convenient and easier to install, but RS422/RS485 will easily work over 500' of wire.

You don't mention how the sensor node would be powered, but if you needed to run power to the sensor anyway, I'd favor a wired approach. For instance one could use telephone cable (two twisted pairs) and run 12 VDC over one pair and RS485 data over the other. If you've already got power near the sensor node then a wireless approach saves having to run a cable.

MrMark: You don't mention how the sensor node would be powered, but if you needed to run power to the sensor anyway, I'd favor a wired approach.

Then maybe consider using powerline networking and no more wires needed.

Yall have definitly given me lots to research. So im runing this scenerio through my head and lets be honest. by the time the cables (Phone/cat5) snakes all the way into the house up the floor into the display we are prob looking at 750' of wire. By the time I buy all that wire I might as well buy the wireless system.

As far as powering I guess a rechargable battery and solar panel. Do they make chargers that run off a solar? Im assuming a LiPo battery.

groundfungus: The APC220 (APC220)claims to have 1000 meter range. $30.00 a pair, with USB to serial adapter. They are pretty simple to use once set up using the RF Magic configuration utility. They look like a serial port to the program. 19200 baud air data (radio) rate. I have used them and they really work well.

Can you show me/explain your set up? Is there a shield for the arduino?

There is no shield that I know of. They are simple to connect. Vcc to 5V, gnd to gnd, TX to Arduino RX, RX to Arduino TX. Then I used software serial library and treat the ACP220s as a serial port. The parts in the linked ad come with a USB serial converter. Use the USB serial converter to connect each APC220 to a PC running the RF Magic configuration utility to set baud rates on each unit (air rates must, of course, match).

groundfungus: There is no shield that I know of. They are simple to connect. Vcc to 5V, gnd to gnd, TX to Arduino RX, RX to Arduino TX. Then I used software serial library and treat the ACP220s as a serial port. The parts in the linked ad come with a USB serial converter. Use the USB serial converter to connect each APC220 to a PC running the RF Magic configuration utility to set baud rates on each unit (air rates must, of course, match).

I found this

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=1357.0

For $30 looks like i cant go wrong. I can at least get my data on the computer at the house.

Oh, and aaaahhhh thats what those tx rx pins are for. Arduino is truly and amazing machine.

The RX and TX pins on the Arduino are for hardware serial (USB). Use a software serial library with the radios. You can use about any pins you want for software serial RX and TX. That way you can use hardware serial to program the Arduino and print to the serial monitor for troubleshooting and data display.

groundfungus: The RX and TX pins on the Arduino are for hardware serial (USB). Use a software serial library with the radios.

Sorry but can you explain? Im not understanding software serial library. Is this something i have to find?

The software serial library is included with the IDE. Look at the examples that come with that library to see how it is used. Which Arduino are you using? Some have more than 1 serial port. On one of those you would use a hardware port (other than the port hooked to USB). I am so used to the Uno that I forget that there are others, sometimes.

For $30 I don't think you're going to find a better solution.

Im using the uno. I agree im gonna pull the trigger on these. In the mean time ill practice my serial print code.

Thanks guys!

Glad to help if you need, later.

groundfungus: The RX and TX pins on the Arduino are for hardware serial (USB). Use a software serial library with the radios. You can use about any pins you want for software serial RX and TX. That way you can use hardware serial to program the Arduino and print to the serial monitor for troubleshooting and data display.

Depending on what is desired, the arduino hardware serial tx/rx pins can be connected to other serial devices as well as the USB to serial chip on the arduino.