Bi-directional DC gear motor driver?

hi, i'd like to use this gear motor in a project https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089GTHGPZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2
i'd need it to run in forward and reverse at programmable speed, not sure the best way?

i'm thinking 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Transistor-High-Power-Electronic-Controller/dp/B07D1W6VFS/ref=sr_1_8
one of the wired in opposite polarity to the other, and a diode on each to protect the drivers against reverse voltage.

is there a better, simpler way? thanks

You should use H-bridge motor driver.

1 Like

Take a look at pololu.com

thanks, i was looking for h-bridge but they mostly seem to be for stepper motors. will it work with a DC gear motor ?

Yes, absolutely, they work for brushed DC motors.

Yes.
DC motors run on one H-bridge, and standard stepper motors require two H-bridges.

thanks, i am looking at perhaps using stepper motors for my project, its a kinetic art thing and need it to totally silent if possible. are stepper motors louder than gear motors? guess i need to buy both and try?

We need a detailed project overview to determine that.
Only you know what the motor does at this time.

thanks, i found a really good video on h-bridge Arduino DC Motor Control Tutorial - L298N | H-Bridge | PWM | Robot Car - YouTube
i guess i'll get both gear and stepper and experiment

The L298 is a very old design, don't buy those. Modern H-bridges work in the same way but are more much efficient.

can you suggest a better part on amazon?

I believe Pololu has an Amazon store.

With the proper controller, it will take care of the direction and the diode protection.
What speeds are you considering? The motors can only be slowed, as per your link.
Paul

These days standard steppers require stepper drivers (current controlled) and are not compatible with other motor controllers or H-bridges.

I'm not saying H-bridge IC.
Does the stepper driver with current control have not an H-bridge?
It is no, it has an H-bridge inside.
And, of course, some DC motor drivers also include internal PWM current control.

What would you suggest instead?

I am not an expert on motor drivers, but I know that L298 is very outdated and that the Pololu designed boards are will regarded, so presumably they all use better, more modern design chips.

Depends on the project, but steppers can do the same movement all the time,
DC motors without some sort of feedback can not.
Tell us more about the project.

Steppers are noisy, and so are (geared) DC motors.
Noise depends on how much work they have to do.
Leo..

If you fail to use microstepping with a stepper is it much NOISIER than if you do. With a high microstepping ratio steppers can be bearable noise-wise (especially if using belt-drive), but never slient. Direct drive motors can be silent - or motors with fully enclosed nylon gears sealed in grease will be pretty good. Better quality motors and gears are generally quieter due to better physical tolerances in the components.

Unipolar steppers like the 28BYJ-48 paired with the ULN2003 driver are silent. They are pretty expensive though, and if you need a lot you will have to use a Mega 2650 as your MCU, because they each use 4 I/O pins.