bicycle speedometer

Hi,
so i really wanted a speedometer on my bicycle but im quite broke. spending 10€ on something i dont need sounds a bit dumb in my financial situation. anyway, i had a lot of parts laying around so i decided to put them to good use.

The video: Video

the brain is atmega328 and the rest are just parts salvaged from old electronics. LCD and battery, from old phone. step up converter is from my old robot. the sensor to detect turns on a wheel is infrared sensor from an old printer. the plastic case is made from CD case and then painted black. i couldnt use my 3d printer when working on this project ::slight_smile:

i copied alot code from here. i hoped you like it and that i inspired some you you :wink:

It seems that the slow refresh rate would make it hard to actually read the numbers while you're riding your bicycle.

I have a feeling that the code for refreshing the display is not as fast as it could be.

Will you post your code?

well the refreshing is slow because of the library so im not looking forward to fix this. i might upload the code but right now its really messy so i will rewrite it first. the calculation part is straight copied from the link i posted before and the rest is just displaying values.

miros:
well the refreshing is slow because of the library so im not looking forward to fix this.

What library is that?

download here.
i was following this page. i just used google translate to get it in english since there isnt much documentation in english.

miros:
well the refreshing is slow because of the library so im not looking forward to fix this.

It appears that the library is horrendous.

Yeah, it takes about 2 seconds to refresh the entire screen. that makes the LCD pretty useless. for this application its acceptable so im only refreshing the numbers. the screen looks good both in daylight and night and the speed can be easily read.

It appears that window_lcd() is called for each and every pixel you wish to write to.
That would explain a thing or two.