Bike generator project

My project is a DC generator. I’m not interested in charging a battery. I just want to use a 3 to 5 ohm dummy load and sample current and turn on some AC circuits. I am working with an ACS712 30A. The data from the current will be used with an 8 channel relay to turn on same value watt load AC LED indicator lamps. Will this ASC712 module support a range of 2A-15A at 12 to 32VDC, Maximum power of 250W? I haven’t seen anyone using this module for currents above 5A.

Before you get started, do you know what the average power output of a fit adult is?

Your 250w is not anywhere near it.

That's assuming "bike" is not a motorcycle.

Even then, they very rarely if ever, put out 32v.

If the purpose of the generator is to get wheel speed then there's easier (including for the rider) ways to do that.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

What is your “generator”?

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

How are you powering your Mega?

It looks like you are loading down a AC Motor generator depending of the output of the bike generator.

A proper labeled copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png would help.

I think we need an explanation of your application and what each component is supposed to do?

The Volt meter and watt meter functions can be done by the Mega.
OPs diagram.
8860837e5b8ebdbc4bc71f467251dffc940be085.jpg

Tom… :slight_smile:

To answer your questions and provide more details:

What is your "generator"? Pedal-A-Watt" Pedal-A-Watt Stationary Bike Power Generator. I have been able to briefly sustain 32VDC across the load

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?
I instruct: "Delmars Standard Textbook of Electricity" for utility power courses and not much on electronics. Transistors for switching only. I have minimal C++ experience. Just getting started after spending a few months researching comparator circuits to do what the Arduino can do. I have advanced hardware experience with manufacturing. No CAD experience other than reading schematics. I'm also a certified bicycle mechanic.

How are you powering your Mega? AC adapter

It looks like you are loading down a AC Motor generator depending of the output of the bike generator.
Load current from the generator across the 3 ohm load is DC.

A proper labeled copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png would help.

"Drawings I have are created with the limited software that I use. Visio, Snag-it, Office."

I think we need an explanation of your application and what each component is supposed to do?
the application is for generation demo for kids and adults. Each rider will have a limited time to lite as many lights as they can. Charts will identify and compare their output power to incandescent and led household bulbs. Project is intended to show how difficult it is to generate power and demonstrate how they work, and not how to store electricity.
So far I have measured with Flukes in the highest gear, 4.4A at 12V, 8A at 21V, 9A at 22 Volts.
My intention is to have the AC lamps turn on at actual power output levels.
for example, As the rider generates 25Wdc the current at that level will signal the first AC load light Green to turn on, at 50W the second Green LED, and so on up to 250W and maybe even 300W.I will be using AC LED colored panel lights in parallel with tuning resistors to calibrate the AC lamps with the DC load current at actual power levels. I will add circuit breaker protection as well.

The Volt meter and watt meter functions can be done by the Mega. I thought so, but I'm a but lacking in experience to understand this yet.