Biometric Switch for Safe-lifting acuators

Hi

This will be my first potential project with Arduino hardware. I have an understanding of C software programming but not enough with hardware configurations.

The project:

A safe is being installed in a hidden cabinet. The safe will rise and reveal itself up via a pair of actuator columns. The switch to the control box for the columns will be bio-metric - fingerprints.

From my brief hardware research (please correct me) a GT-511C1R fingerprint scanner can store, identify and transmit a command? The input of the switch to the actuator control box is an Ethernet port. I am wondering whether an Uno with an Ethernet shield can be configured to receive the signal from the sensor and output a switching signal via the Ethernet port that will allow the columns to rise/fall?

Thank you

That fingerprint sensor communicates via TTL serial, not Ethernet. It will, with proper programming, tell the Arduino that a print is valid or not. Then the Arduino can actuate the lifting column (or not). To be of more help we would need to know more about the actuator system. Are you sure that the actuator is Ethernet? That type of socket is often used for serial comms, as well as Ethernet.

Hi

Yes the Ethernet on the control box is is a serial comms system. It uses 3 pins: UP / DOWN / COMMON. I’m trying to discover whether I can program an Arduino to send this signal - either via ports or the actual Ethernet shield.

Can you post a diagram of your project so that we can understand the relationships of the parts of your project? And a data sheet or wiring diagram of the control box? I do not understand what the Ethernet shield is for.

Hi,

Roshdamunki:
Hi

Yes the Ethernet on the control box is is a serial comms system. It uses 3 pins: UP / DOWN / COMMON. I'm trying to discover whether I can program an Arduino to send this signal - either via ports or the actual Ethernet shield.

????
Are you sure its Ethernet?
Your reference indicates you can get the control system with LinBus.
I see no reference to Ethernet.
They use RJ45 plugs to connect their control systems?
Using the simple UP, Down, Stop would be easier.

Tom.... :slight_smile:
PS. I know Linak make excellent actuators. but how heavy is the safe?

TomGeorge:
Hi,
????
Are you sure its Ethernet?
Your reference indicates you can get the control system with LinBus.
I see no reference to Ethernet.
They use RJ45 plugs to connect their control systems?
Using the simple UP, Down, Stop would be easier.

Tom.... :slight_smile:
PS. I know Linak make excellent actuators. but how heavy is the safe?

Hi Tom

Weight is not the issue - it's build-in length / amount of travel required.

This is what I'm trying to work out - hardware is not my strong point. I need to get a signal from the fingerprint sensor to the control box. I'm not sure how to do that. When I called Linak tech they said all I needed was a switching signal to the box. I assumed from that it was a serial comms signal that I need to generate. I don't think the fingerprint sensor does this so I'm looking for something to relay the sensor output to the control box. I'm asking whether this can be best done with Uno and how best to implement it (i.e. through re-configuring an Ethernet shield port or something else?)

So the way I’ve set this up is following this:

Fingerprint Scanner
Arduino
2 relays
control box
Actuator Columns

The RJ ports on the Control Box have 3 pins connected to them - Common / up / down. The box itself is generating voltage so (like the nice tech support man did say) all you need is a switching signal over two relays to operate it. The relays are effectively being used as switches and being triggered by the arduino program.

Nearly there

Now all I need is to link the fingerprint code to the relay code and I should be up and running . . . here goes :slight_smile:

DPA - DESK PANEL HANDSET CONNECTOR WIRING..JPG