bipolar output from arduino (+/- 5v)

I have a device that I want to control using an Arduino. It needs a square wave from +5v to -5v, but it doesn't draw much current (a few mA for 100microseconds or so, thereafter less than 1 microamp). The +5 volts is easy because I can just use the TTL out, but the -5 volts isn't as easy. How can I get my Arduino to generate a +/-5v bipolar waveform?

I'm guessing I'll need to build a simple circuit, but let me know what the best way to do this is. Thanks!

James

hey

what kind of device is it that you are driving?

D

An op-amp with a gain of 2 and with an appropriate offset signal will convert a unipolar 0-5v signal to a bipolar +/-5v signal. You will need a +/- power supply for it too.

for what i know -5v to +5v is just another way of saying 0-10v. with the middle being treated as zero / ground (i'm open to corrections on this)
but as daniel0002 already asked, what do you want to do with it?
kuk

it's an LC panel. I guess I can use an H-bridge, right? That way I can use the +5 v out of the Arduino and then still get a +5 to -5 V output just by operating the H-bridge.

Find another supply and wire it up with a regulator to be your -5v supply. Use wallwarts are 99 cents at thrift stores. For your needs a simple resistor and zener should do.

The other thing you can do is make a simple -5v switcher.

http://www.shellyinc.com/techDCtoDC.htm