Bipolar stepper current consumption for l293d

Hi!

I'm trying to use my stepper motor taken from printer m42sp-6tg. It's says it's 10ohM. I don't know if it means 10Ohm per coil or in total. Couldn't find a datasheet for it.

I found this circuit: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/StepperBipolarCircuit

I already have transistors, so now I want to buy H-bridge, but I'm not sure if l293d will be enough for my motor.

How can I calculate it? Or just from practice - will this chip handle the current motor is drawing?

Thanks! Leonti

It's says it's 10ohM. I don't know if it means 10Ohm per coil or in total.

What does your multi-meter tell you?

I already have transistors, so now I want to buy H-bridge, but I'm not sure if l293d will be enough for my motor.

V = IR. Voltage equals current times resistance. You know the resistance (or you will after you measure it). You will be supplying some voltage. The current can then be determined with a calculator.

If the current needed is less than the current handling capacity of the H-bridge, you are good to go.

I'm trying to use my stepper motor taken from printer

Generally not a huge current device...

I've salvaged a couple steppers from a photocopier before. Each coil (in unipolar mode) is 7 ohms, I wanted to run it with 12 V which would be 1.7A. I don't have an H-Bridge that beefy.

By running it in bipolar mode (14 ohms) and only 7.2V, the current draw is only 0.51A, within the limitations of the 293D.

John_S, thanks!

PaulS, battery is dead in my multimeter, so can't measure right now, but from what Paul wrote I guess it's 10Ohm per coil, so 20 Ohms in total. I have 9v supply so it would give me 0.45A

It was that easy :)

Thanks again guys!

Leonti: John_S, thanks!

PaulS, battery is dead in my multimeter, so can't measure right now, but from what Paul wrote I guess it's 10Ohm per coil, so 20 Ohms in total. I have 9v supply so it would give me 0.45A

It was that easy :)

Thanks again guys!

You should concentrate on replacing the battery in your multimeter, and quit the guesswork.