BlackWidow board - Library needed (Newby)

Hello all. My name is Sid. I am mostly hardware-familiar. Not so much software.

I recently added a new Arduino board to my collection. It is the BlackWidow WiFi board.

You all may have covered this question in the past, so sorry for bringing it up again.

I have searched this forum, but it seems l have only found answers in french. I am looking for the library files for the BlackWidow board. As most of you probably know, AsyncLabs website is no more. I was able to find some files on 'Github', but they do not compile on the latest arduino IDE. I am wondering if they were meant only the 'Wiring/Processing' IDE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

but they do not compile on the latest arduino IDE.

Why not fix the problems? If you don't know how, we can't help without seeing the error messages and the code.

Ok. More info is needed. The arduino IDE I am using is 1.0.5. The library at Github is here: https://github.com/asynclabs/WiShield The example file I tried to compile is 'SimpleServer'. The error script is ".... wiServer.h:198: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void Server::write (uint8_t)' (This is the next line)........hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error: overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'.

I can guess that it is saying that the previously definef return type is trying to be altered. I have tried the other examples and have found different errors. So, I guess what I am asking is if this code was mainly to be used on another IDE, or is there another library for the BlackWidow board that I should be looking for?

Any points to the right direction, or where I should concentrate my search? Thanks in advance.

By the way: most of the file and folder names have a '-' in the name. Arduino IDE doesn't like this too much

.... wiServer.h:198: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void Server::write (uint8_t)'

This particular message has been discussed many times. The wiServer class apparently derives from Stream which derives from Print. The write() method in the Print class changed to return a value.

The write() method is virtual, which means that the deriving class needs to overwrite it, but can't change the signature.

You'll need to edit wiServer.h to change the signature to size_t write(uint8_t);. You'll then need to change wiServer.cpp to use the same signature AND to return a value.

So, besides having to change the file and folder names to remove the '-' and whatever other errors I may findin the other examples as well as the changes you have mentioned, this library is the only option I can use for the BlackWidow board?

Do you think that the current WiFi library included in the 1.0.5 release will work with this board? I am beginning to believe that I got a good deal on this board because there are no available libraries. Unless one is willing to make all of the changes to the library I showed you erlier.

I do remember one of the examples referring to 'Wiring.h' . Maybe this means that this library is useable on the 'Wiring/Processing' IDE.

I hate to go with another IDE, but if there is no Arduino IDE equivalent libraries, then I may not have a choice.

Thoughts?

Do you think that the current WiFi library included in the 1.0.5 release will work with this board?

Unless the BlackWidow is based on the same chip as the official board, no. But, of course, there is nothing stopping you from trying it. It will either work, or you;ll have spent 5 minutes learning something. Hardly a bad thing, either way.

I am beginning to believe that I got a good deal on this board because there are no available libraries.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. :)

I do remember one of the examples referring to 'Wiring.h' . Maybe this means that this library is useable on the 'Wiring/Processing' IDE.

I hate to go with another IDE, but if there is no Arduino IDE equivalent libraries, then I may not have a choice.

Sounds like a viable alternative. Just be sure to get a Wiring board, first. They are not the same as the Arduinos.

Thanks for your input thus far, PaulS, but I don’t think your advice so far has helped much.

Maybe I am still not asking my questions correctly.

Let’s try again:
I have a board called BlackWidow ver 1.0’.
It was made by a company called Asynclabs that is probably out of business since they no longer have a website.
The board works as an ordinary arduino, as I have tried a few sketches already.
It uses an Atmega328 MCU, 32kb flash ram, 2kb sram, 1kb EEPROM.
I was able to find a document online that describes the board as having connectivity for 802.11b with 1 or 2Mbps, using WEP, WPA/WPA2.
The Wifi module has the markings: Z2G101MCC2. It uses SPI to communicate on pins 10, 11, 12, and 13. It uses pin 9 for wifi connection status. It can use interrupt on pin 8 or INT0, switchable.

I don’t have any more info other than that.

So, is anyone familiar with this board or where I can find compatable library files for it?

Thanks in advance…

Ok. I did some more searching and found out that the Asynclabs drivers on Github work best with the Arduino IDE version 2.2. I tried it and was able to get the 'WebServer' example to work. The rest of the examples still have compiling issues, but I will just need the WebServer working for now.

Thanks all.

the Arduino IDE version 2.2.

I’ll assume that that was meant to be 0022, since the current version is 1.0.5 (or 1.5.4 for the ARM boards).

Did you make the changes to the library that I suggested? If so, the code should compile under 1.0.5. If you made the changes are seeing other errors, post them here, and we’ll help you fix them.

Correct, 0022. Also, the Wifi chip is a ZG2101, not Z2G as I said before.

I did no changes to the library code for 0022 or the original Asynclabs code from Github, but only one example worked for me. The WebServer example. When I get around to running the other examples, I will post the errors here. I am only able to use my Android tablet on this forum right now. My PC is having trouble reaching the forum.

I already posted my trouble with my PC in the trouble section. From what I hear, someone is working on it.

Till next time...

Looks like someone has been in my shoes before: http://www.sundh.com/blog/2012/02/make-wishield-work-in-latest-arduino-ide/

I also came upon another thread where you answered the same subject PaulS: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=90603.0

So, I will do all the changes and see what happens.

Thanks all....