Blank Display Anet A6 Flashing Marlin

Hello!

I recently received a new motherboard for my Anet A6 (the previous one broke). It is the same motherboard as the original. Using an Arduino Uno, I flashed the optiboot bootloader (or whichever one Arduino 1.8.5 provides) onto the Anet motherboard. The Arduino IDE recognized that the bootloader was burned successfully. After, I followed all the steps in this video (https://youtu.be/2csiT3S0qZc) for flashing the firmware. I installed the anet hardware into the Arduino folder (GitHub - SkyNet3D/anet-board: This is a board definition which works in Arduino IDE 1.8.x for Anet Board targets.) and downloaded Marlin 1.1.9. I took out the Anet A6 configuration files and put them into the Marlin folder. Then, I booted up the IDE using the Marlin.ino file. I made sure to be using the correct driver which is CH340 for the Arduino. I also made sure to install the updated u8glib library by oliver. I tried uploading, and the printer made a whirring sound. The screen remained blank.

What exact board settings should I use for uploading? It seems that everyone uses different stuff. In particular, I want to know the board (Anet V1.0 or Anet V1.0 Optiboot) and programmer to use.

When I use the Anet V1.0 Optiboot board and the AVRISP mkII programmer, the code goes through, but the printer doesn't start. Other times, I will change up the board and programmer and get error messages like:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfe

I don't know what these mean either. I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

maker5834:
I flashed the optiboot bootloader (or whichever one Arduino 1.8.5 provides) onto the Anet motherboard. The Arduino IDE recognized that the bootloader was burned successfully.

Arduino IDE 1.8.5 doesn't provide bootloaders. It's the boards platform that provides the bootloaders. So the bootloader used depends on which board you have selected from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Board menu.

So, which board did you have selected from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Board menu when you did the successful Tools > Burn Bootloader process?

When I burned the bootloader, I had Anet V1.0 Optiboot as the board. The terminal said it was successful too. (Thank you for replying too!)

OK, so the answer to your question:

maker5834:
What exact board settings should I use for uploading?

The exact ones you had selected when you did the Tools > Burn Bootloader process. If you want to swith to using different board settings, you should first do the Tools > Burn Bootloader process again with the new setting selected.

maker5834:
When I use the Anet V1.0 Optiboot board and the AVRISP mkII programmer

Do you own an actual AVRISP mkII ISP programmer and have it connected to your anet motherboard?

This is an AVRISP mkII:

but there are also some clones that look different, including, but not limited to, this one:

If you bought one, I'd guess you would know what you have.

I do not have either AVRISP mkII models. I will definitely try out flashing the board with the original bootloader settings. Thank you for the help!

maker5834:
When I use the Anet V1.0 Optiboot board and the AVRISP mkII programmer, the code goes through, but the printer doesn't start. Other times, I will change up the board and programmer and get error messages like:

The Tools > Programmer menu selection is only used when you are doing Tools > Burn Bootloader or "Upload Using Programmer". When you're doing a standard "Upload", the Tools > Programmer menu selection is completely ignored. So don't waste any time trying different Tools > Programmer menu selections to try to fix an "Upload" problem.

maker5834:
and get error messages like:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfe

That's caused by selecting a different board from the one you had selected when you did the "Burn Bootloader".

maker5834:
I tried uploading, and the printer made a whirring sound. The screen remained blank.

I don't know anything about 3D printers, but I'm guessing your problem is caused by an incorrect Marlin configuration. If you're able to upload then everything is good with the Arduino IDE, the anet board platform, and the bootloader on your motherboard.

That makes so much more sense! Thank you so much. I definitely learned a lot on this post. I will try to play around with the Marlin configurations and see what's what. Thanks again!