BLDC Camera Gimbal Project, Need Advice on ESC

Hello, my friends and I decided to build our own gimbal however we seem to be stuck on what ESC or driver to get since whatever we search for doesn't seem to fit our needs. We have three brushless 3-phase DC motors and an arduino 101 to use since it already has an IMU. We need something with an H-bridge which for some reason I can find easily for other motors but not the kind we have. Also in the meantime to at least try out one of the motors could I plug it straight into he PWM outputs on the board or would it possibly damage it? In case anyone wants to know we're using rctimer 5010-150T gimbal motors and a 3S battery to power them.

Um, NO and NO

NO, you cannot use an H-bridge.
NO, you cannot plug straight in to the PWM pins without damage.

This driver from the same manufacturer as your motors, is likely what you need. (or one of the similar models they offer)

Edit: for further clarification, when you use the words 'brushless' and 'ESC' together, the ESC almost always refers to a speed control to make the motor turn many revolutions very quickly, as when driving a propeller or drive system on an RC craft of some sort.
This is not what you want your gimbal to do. Gimbals use drivers.

Gimbal motors require intelligent drive using feedback from encoders or an IMU. You need a closed
control feedback loop despite no hall sensors and no back-EMF, which is non-trivial.

Thanks for responding. Would I be supplying power through the arduino then? Also how would I know if it has the ability to driver motors both directions? That driver is pretty expensive are there cheaper alternatvies?

GIJOSE:
Thanks for responding. Would I be supplying power through the arduino then?

No, power is connected to the driver.

Also how would I know if it has the ability to driver motors both directions?

I am certain that it does. It’s whole purpose is to move a camera back and forth. But you can confirm it for free. Watch videos of that driver.

That driver is pretty expensive are there cheaper alternatvies?

You can always roll your own. If you are willing to crunch through the specifics of your setup. Hardware assembly and troubleshooting. Power handling requirements. Noise suppression. Code. PID tuning.

I would say that the driver is pretty cheap considering what you would have to go through.

So the driver you linked above is a controller. This is where I'm getting confused now because if my arduino is our controller and I don't know why I would need another. I read into it and the driver is a L6234. Could I use that with my board? I'm honestly really confused right now because it seems like I'm being told to control another controller with my arduino.

GIJOSE:
So the driver you linked above is a controller. This is where I'm getting confused now because if my arduino is our controller and I don't know why I would need another. I read into it and the driver is a L6234. Could I use that with my board? I'm honestly really confused right now because it seems like I'm being told to control another controller with my arduino.

Yes the arduino can control the l6234. There have been gimbal projects using dual h-bridges like the l298. But they use it like three half bridges rather than two h-bridges.

This link shows a simple way to control the 6234. Make sure to pick a really high resistance (more 10 Ohm) high turn gimbal motor to test with. You can probably find some l6234 breakouts somewhere.

The tricky part is going to be the imu position detection, pid loop control scheme to get it all working properly. That's where the pre-made boards will save a lot of time.