BLDC Motors with on-board controllers

Hi all, my son is new to arduino, and he is trying to find examples of how to wire up/ program these motors (photos attached)He has taken them out of large HP printers.
3-phase brushless dc motors?
The one on the left has wires Ro pins Vmm, Vmm,Vmm,FG,DEC,ACC,REV,GND,GND and the one on the right has 7 wires to an 8 pin.

I’m thinking these motors have their own controller, and he should be able to run just using the arduino??

He is completely new to programming, and just thought someone out there has done this before that could help?for a school project

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

I don't do other people homework (or school projects) nor will I will help other people do so.

There are no pictures attached but that could be from the fact that this is your first post, retry.

This is not part of an actual project. He is in a school aged group of like minded kids having fun with robotics. He just thought it would be fun to learn to run this thing, and are finding it difficult to get info. I’m sure you agree there is no point reinventing the wheel on everything, and this is a learning site. It would be nice if someone could confirm if this is operatable with just the arduino or is an additional controller needed? Just trying to get him interested in robotics.

You should search for datasheets of the motors, there are often applications included. I'm quite shure HP will use only motors that have a datasheet, maybe it's hard to find.

There are many posts regarding BLDC motors on this form, did you try the search in the top right corner? (It only triggers a Google search restricted to the arduino.cc site, so you will still get your personal advertisement from big brother. ;))

Yes thanks, we’ve been searching for days and going around in circles. Think we know how to hard wire electronically to get it to run, just not how to run using arduino programming with all the different inputs. Have contacted HP and Nidec to try and get info, but having difficult. Very hard to find the actual motor specs. Just thought someone may have already done this before, but having a lot of trouble finding similar examples.
Thanks for your advice.

You did not even include all the data on the labels of the motors, how can you expect we could help you?

By looking at some blurry pictures with unreadable numbers?

Wow what a great first experience

Think we know how to hard wire electronically to get it to run, just not how to run using arduino programming with all the different inputs.

As a start, describe what you think each of the connections does and the voltages and currents involved. If the voltage and current to the control pins can be supplied by an Arduino then you can certainly write a program to set the pins HIGH or LOW in any reasonable sequence and for any reasonable timing pattern.

Note that the motors will need to be powered by an external power supply and not from the Arduino as it is unlikely to be able to supply the voltage and current required.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. We need to go over some more code examples and test it out.

ktcarey: Thanks. That's what I was thinking. We need to go over some more code examples and test it out.

First you need to know the voltages and currents involved. Once the hardware (power supply and logic levels) is sorted you can proceed to programming. Do not connect the motor to the Arduino until you are sure of your facts.

You could start programming without using the motor by outputting values to the Serial monitor, perhaps slowed by a factor of 100 or so to make them readable.