BLE Bluetooth Nano 33 BLE in Visual Basic 6.0 COM-PORT

Hola a tod@s,

He comprado el Arduino Nano 33 BLE por que dispone de un IMU de 9 ejes y es una unidad muy compacta.

Siempre he podido realizar conexión con otros Arduinos mediante la conexión COM y Bluetooth en mis programas con Visual Basic 6.0 VB6.

Con Nano 33 BLE, no consigo realizar esta conexión…, ¿Cómo se debe de hacer esta conexión? , ¿Se puede enviar datos del Bluetooth a otro Bluetooth y usar COM?

Yo quiero usar el Arduino Nano 33 BLE de forma inalámbrica y enviar los datos del Arduino por Bluetooth al PC y leer por COM.

¿Alguien me puede ayudar?

Gracias.

Hello everyone,

I have bought the Arduino Nano 33 BLE because it has a 9 axis IMU and it is a very compact unit.

I have always been able to connect to other Arduinos using COM and Bluetooth connection in my programs with Visual Basic 6.0 VB6.

With Nano 33 BLE, I can't make this connection ... How should this connection be made? , Can you send Bluetooth data to another Bluetooth and use COM?

I want to use the Arduino Nano 33 BLE wirelessly and send the Arduino data via Bluetooth to the PC and read via COM.

Can somebody help me?

Thank you.

VB 6.0 was released 22 years ago according to Wikipedia. BLE is different than Bluetooth. So, unless some third party has build some support for this, I would not expect you can connect to an Arduino Nano 33 BLE using the BLE support in your PC. You could connect one Arduino to your PC via USB and connect your VB program to the virtual serial port (COM) and then use it to read data from a second Arduino Nano 33 BLE.

I recommend you first explore your Arduino Nano 33 BLE capabilities using the examples from the ArduinoBLE library and use a smartphone to interact with the Arduino. Have a look at apps like BLE Scanner. I use it on my iPhone, but there might be a version on Android as well. There are other apps you can use.

Hola gracias por su respuesta,

Efectivamente, es posible conectar y emparejar el Arduino Nano 33 BLE a los iphone y dispositivos android..., ¿por que no es esto posible para un PC?.
No hay motivos para ello, parece una desvolución en vez de algo nuevo y mejor.

BLE no es como un Bluetooth estandar, parece pensado para dispositivos moviles o conexiones de bajos consumos.

BLE deberia der disponer de servicios de conexión para emular puertos e comunicación COM para poder ser usados en PC.

Es lo que estoy intentando actualmente.

Un Saludo.

Hi, thank you for you answer,

Indeed, it is possible to connect and pair the Arduino Nano 33 BLE to iphone and android devices ..., why is this not possible for a PC ?.
There is no reason for it, it seems like a devolution instead of something new and better.

BLE is not like a standard Bluetooth, it seems designed for mobile devices or low consumption connections.

BLE should have connection services to emulate COM ports and communication in order to be used on PCs.

It is what I am currently trying.

Greetings.

To connect the BLE nano to your PC you'll need to check if your PC has a compatible Bluetooth Low Energy module. You'll have to run a system diagnostic check or equivalent to get the spec. If the Bluetooth version is 4.x or version 5.x then you can connect with the nano, otherwise it is not compatible and you will need to purchase a separate compatible module.

legnavr:
Indeed, it is possible to connect and pair the Arduino Nano 33 BLE to iphone and android devices

That is not entirely accurate. You can connect but not pair. Pairing is an optional security feature of BLE and it is NOT supported by the current version of the ArduinoBLE library.

legnavr:
..., why is this not possible for a PC ?.

There is no reason why this should not be possible if your PC supports BLE as gerrikoio mentioned.
However, with classic Bluetooth the connection needed pairing and that was handled by the OS. That is likely a reason why BLE support on PC for software development seems a bit missing. It needs some modification in the tools and libraries. BLE is simply more attractive for all the mobile platforms. Nobody wants to carry a PC when going out for a run with their heart rate sensor or start their PC to switch on the lights.

legnavr:
... it seems like a devolution instead of something new and better.

You would be surprised how much innovation is part of the new BLE standard. The goal was low energy and cheap silicon. So, some compromise was necessary for instance on the bandwidth. On the other side you now get a wireless sensor running on a coin cell for a year or more.

legnavr:
BLE should have connection services to emulate COM ports and communication in order to be used on PCs.

The Serial Port Profile (SPP) was dropped with BLE 4.0. Some manufacturer defined their own proprietary replacement. That is what some devices use that you can find when you google "Bluetooth Serial Module". Because it is not standardized you will need two compatible modules to use the functionality.
You might wonder why? Simple, using the serial protocol over BLE is a waste of energy and a waste of the build in GATT protocol. The GATT allows you to provide different data to clients and they can automatically discover what services and characteristics are available. Then the client/central reads only the data it needs at an interval it needs and not all data at a fixed rate set by the server/peripheral.

gerrikoio:
To connect the BLE nano to your PC you’ll need to check if your PC has a compatible Bluetooth Low Energy module.

Hola gerrikoio, gracias por su respuesta.

Si, dispongo de Bluetooth LE en mi PC para poder conectar con mi dispositivo Arduino Nano 33 BLE.

Gracias.

Hi Gerrikoio, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have Bluetooth LE on my PC to be able to connect to my Arduino Nano 33 BLE device.

Thank you.

Klaus_K:
There is no reason why this should not be possible if your PC supports BLE..., However, with classic Bluetooth the connection needed pairing and that was handled by the OS.
That is likely a reason why BLE support on PC for software development seems a bit missing.

Hola Klaus_K gracias por su respuesta.

Actualmente estoy trabajando en un JavaScript para usar con el explorador Web Google Chrome.

Esta utilidad, nos va a permitir conectar mediante Bluetooth LE al PC y llevar los datos al puerto de comunicación Serial COM…, para que los datos puedan ser procesados con las herramientas que cada persona desee…, como VB.60, VB.NET u otras utilidades.

Ya dispongo de conexión con mi PC mediante el uso del Bluetooth BLE de mi Arduino Nano 33 BLE…, la conexión es estable y no se desconectará del PC.

Para que este Script funcione, es necesario disponer del explorador Web Google Chrome, que dispone de una API o funciones para trabajar con dispositivos Bluetooth LE.

Estoy enseñando a la comunidad de Real o Virtual a crear un Guante Háptico…, este guante va ha disponer de un total de 14 sensores.

Estoy usando VB6.0 y el Motor Gráfico Unity3D para este proyecto…, si desean información, aquí disponen de la dirección:

Aquí un video: PASO 3 (3.2 Giroscópio IMU 9 LSM9DS1 Unity3D & VB6) By Legna 2020 para la Comunidad ROV - YouTube

Creo que, en esta comunidad de Arduino, hay muchas personas con conocimientos que pueden implementar y ayudar a terminar el Script que he realizado, Os voy a dejar los datos y archivos en mi GitHub · LegnaVR.

Aquí: https://github.com/LegnaVR/Guantes_Hapticos-Arduino_ABX00030_Nano_33_BLE/tree/master/Guantes%20Hápticos/Códigos%20Proyecto%20Guantes%20Hápticos/Código%204.%20Bluetooth%20BLE-SPP

Ahora necesito de crear la conexión entre el Archivo html que contiene el script y el puerto de comunicación COM.

Ya utilizo un puerto serial virtual COM creado con Eltima Software 6.9 para este propósito.

Espero os animéis y ayudéis a terminar el script.

Saludos a todos.

Hello Klaus_K thank you for your reply.

I'm currently working on a JavaScript to use with the Google Chrome Web browser.

This utility will allow us to connect via Bluetooth LE to the PC and take the data to the Serial COM communication port..., so that the data can be processed with the tools that each person wants..., such as VB.60, VB.NET or other utilities.

I already have connection with my PC by using the Bluetooth BLE of my Arduino Nano 33..., the connection is stable and will not disconnect from the PC.

For this Script to work, you need to have the Google Chrome Web browser, which has an API or functions to work with Bluetooth LE devices.

I'm teaching the Real or Virtual community to create a Haptic Glove..., this glove is going to have a total of 14 sensors.

I'm using VB6.0 and the Unity3D Graphics Engine for this project..., for information, here's the address:

Here's a video: PASO 3 (3.2 Giroscópio IMU 9 LSM9DS1 Unity3D & VB6) By Legna 2020 para la Comunidad ROV - YouTube

I think, in this Arduino community, there are many knowledgeable people who can implement and help finish the Script I've done, I'm going to leave the data and files on my GitHub LegnaVR.

Here: https://github.com/LegnaVR/Guantes_Hapticos-Arduino_ABX00030_Nano_33_BLE/tree/master/Guantes%20Hápticos/Códigos%20Proyecto%20Guantes%20Hápticos/Código%204.%20Bluetooth%20BLE-SPP

Now I need to create the connection between the html file that contains the script and the COM communication port.

I already use a COM virtual serial port created with Eltima Software 6.9 for this purpose.

I hope you are encouraged and help finish the script.

Greetings, everybody.