Blew something...

I was going through the ShiftOut tutorials using a 595 chip and leds. Had everything wired up, code uploaded, and plugged in to USB.

Nothing happened. Noticed that my IC was in upside down, so without unplugging the USB power supply, i decided to remove the IC, and put it back in right-side up.

Upon putting it properly, there was a flash of LED's, followed by a beep on my computer (signifying that a USB device was no longer plugged in).

There must've been a surge that ruined a chip (power transistor?). Are these replacable?

I haven't yet tried to see if the board powers up using the other power supply (will buy one today).

There must've been a surge that ruined a chip

Well not a surge but a short. Probably taken out the USB chip or fuse.

Noticed that my IC was in upside down, so without unplugging the USB power supply, i decided to remove the IC, and put it back in right-side up.

Always, always, always unplug any power source (even if it is just a small battery) before messing with electronic or electric circuits. This is (or should be) rule 1.

Fortunately for you, you only lost an IC. Follow the above procedure always (as well as keeping a hand in one pocket when probing a circuit - though even there when possible, unplug the circuit, attach the probes, then re-apply power), and one day it may save your life.

:)

Always, always, always unplug any power source (even if it is just a small battery) before messing with electronic or electric circuits. This is (or should be) rule 1.

Unless you are trying to see how far you can push it :)

I have an ATMega8 that I purposefully mishandle :) Still works like a charm. Wonder how much more it can take?