Blink fails to upload on a new Arduino Genuino Uno

I have some new Unos and have installed the Arduino software on a number of machines on my network. Our operating system is Windows 7 (64 bit).

I have checked the Board is set to the correct type and the correct Com port is selected.

IDE 1.6.10 is installed and I have tried 1.6.5 and 1.6.8 as suggested by some Forum respondents in earlier posts.

The problem occurs on different computers and using different boards. I have also tried using the reset button both before and after selecting upload with various length delays.

The installation was done with administrative privileges and the compile tested with both user and administrative credentials.

Attached is the output from the verbose logging when the compile is attempted.

Interestingly enough the output shows 1.6.8 whereas Board Manager shows 1.6.10 as installed. I don’t know if this is significant.

Arduino error output…txt (4.1 KB)

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

So it's not a upload problem, it does not even try because the compiler fails.

Btw, board manager shows the installed [u]boards[/u] version. The IDE shows the IDE version when compiling. That's not the same thing.

But it might be a problem with the 1.6.10 boards not working with an older version, I'm not sure. You can try to install 1.6.5r and delete all preferences and packages by deleting the whole C:\Users\mwall\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15 folder.

Whilst I would not expect issues with the Blink program, an UNO and 1.6.8 I too have finally reverted to 1.6.5 (it automatically uninstalls 1.6.8 ) as there were too many issues with it. Grrr.

Before you click that upload button, try clicking the compile button - when that works then hit the upload button. That way you know whether it's even going to try uploading and where the issue may lie.

The fact this problem occurs on different computers and different boards indicates a wider issue - unfortunately the file you attached doesn't really shed any light on the problem. BTW you should not have to press reset at any time (especially not for a UNO, perhaps for a Micro only).

Do you get the same error(s) on each computer?

Revert to 1.6.5 and attach the output from that version, this is bizarre to say the least.

Ralph_S_Bacon:
I too have finally reverted to 1.6.5 (it automatically uninstalls 1.6.8 ) as there were too many issues with it. Grrr.

That’s why I’m still at 1.6.4 and 1.0.6 before that. To many buggy versions, a stable/no major bugs version of Arduino is a bit rare unfortunately. :confused:

Ralph_S_Bacon:
That way you know whether it’s even going to try uploading and where the issue may lie.

Or you just read the error ::slight_smile:

Ralph_S_Bacon:
The fact this problem occurs on different computers and different boards indicates a wider issue -

Yep, but it’s still possible the install of 1.6.8 is the culprit. Manually removing the setting files/folders helps sometimes.

Ralph_S_Bacon:
BTW you should not have to press reset at any time (especially not for a UNO, perhaps for a Micro only).

On a Uno indeed. But on a Pro Mini or stand alone you have to is you don’t connect DTR. But that gets annoying very quick :smiley:

Ralph_S_Bacon:
Revert to 1.6.5 and attach the output from that version, this is bizarre to say the least.

But don’t forget to delete the preferences first.

Thank you for your prompt replies. Totally uninstalling and starting again with 1.6.5 has moved me on and I am now looking at a permissions problem with the antivirus which hopefully I can sort out with exclusions.

I am probably missing something obvious but I cannot see how to mark this thread solved.

Just edit the first post and then change the title to start with [SOLVED].

Btw, kind of crappy anti virus when it even thinks Arduino IDE is a virus...