Blink Program runs slow on Atmega328p

I used a USBASP to bootload my Atmega328P on a breadboard. However on testing it with a blink program the blinking of the led does occur but very slowly.

Some posts in the forum suggest it is due to the fact it is unable to use the 16MHz external and I need to set fuses using AVRDUDE.

I am new to this field and I'd like to know how it's done.

Are you sure burning bootloader succeeded?

If you've successfully burned bootloader, it should be using the appropriate clock source for the board you selected when you did 'burn bootloader'.

You could set it with avrdude manually, but... that's exactly what burn bootloader does, call AVRDude and tell it to burn the bootloader and set the fuses (burn bootloader does both). You can even turn on verbose uploads, and it will show you the AVRDude command that it's using to set the fuses.

I guess no. Whenever I try to burn bootloader via the Arduino IDE I get this error.

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

aniruddha96:
I guess no. Whenever I try to burn bootloader via the Arduino IDE I get this error.

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

Enable verbose upload and see what value it's actually getting - likely either all 0's or all 1's, indicating a wiring issue, or the signature of the 328 (no P), meaning you have a 328 not a 328P (a '328 in DIP package is a 328-PU, the P in PU (which indicates that it's in DIP package) sometimes confuses people).