Blood Pressure Monitor Build

I am investigating the possibility of building a home blood pressure monitor. I am seeking guidance on facets such as hardware, firmware, data acquisition in real-time, and the like.

The reason I am considering this is the lack of the ability for extracting specific data points / sets from commercial home-monitoring devices.

As I understand it the firmware in the home monitors is averaging then compressing data points, then averaging those data clusters for arriving at the final presentation. Using a series of such presentations clinicians compute a mean of the doubled smoothed raw data. To my knowledge there are not any standards for the data gathering or analysis. My hope is to understand the methodology driving the data collection and analysis.

I will welcome any assistance and thoughts speaking to this project or my approach to the data collection.

Thank you.

mikeincousa: As I understand it the firmware in the home monitors is averaging then compressing data points, then averaging those data clusters for arriving at the final presentation. Using a series of such presentations clinicians compute a mean of the doubled smoothed raw data. To my knowledge there are not any standards for the data gathering or analysis. My hope is to understand the methodology driving the data collection and analysis.

It is not by any means clear to what you refer here.

Do you refer to the function of a basic electronic oscillotonometer for taking and displaying individual readings, or a 24 hour ambulatory monitor? What are these "presentations" and "analysis"?

To my knowledge there are not any standards for the data gathering or analysis.

I suspect that your knowledge of the topic could be significantly improved by some additional reading and on line research.

"I am investigating the possibility of building a home blood pressure monitor. I am seeking guidance on facets such as hardware, firmware, data acquisition in real-time, and the like."

Sounds interesting, but what part is an arduino to play in this? What have you done so far in regards to the "hardware, firmware, data acquisition in real-time, and the like."?

mikeincousa:
To my knowledge there are not any standards for the data gathering or analysis.

This is how I do it.

temp.jpg

temp.jpg

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum". OR http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

google arduino sphygmomanometer

What process or algorithm do you aim to use to calculate PB?

Tom... :)