Blue Screen Of Death from keeping Arduino plugged in overnight

Hi’s,

I am having trouble with a blue screen of death. It only happens when I have the USB cord connected to the PC and I leave it on overnight

I don’t have the exact format for the bsod error message but I’m using a another program to open the dumpfile.

Attached is the screenshot of the error message.

Thanks much to all replies to help me (even if you say Hi, thanks :))

Wmj259

Also forgot to mention I'm using a Arduino Uno R3.

If the error is caused by the USB port, then the question would be is what the INO is doing at time of crash? What sketch is loaded? What devices attached? Since it occurs only overnight does your PC have a scheduled process that is programmed to run at night (back-up, update, virus scan) that could cause a conflict?

Well, the sketch that is loaded into the Arduino is a Motor code, but it is always looking for a "1" to be sent from processing. So I guess that is overloading the system?

Attached devices are the usual

:Keyboard :2 Monitors :Mouse :Ethernet

So, If i can have the code to be on a timer. Would that be better?

This is what I'm using the Arduino for. My project is for Barcode attendance.

Each student is given a barcode at the beginning of the semester. He/She uses that barcode at the beginning of seminar so its a quick sign-in process. But I decided to incorporate that software into opening the engineering lab door, by scanning your barcode. So I have the processing code running 24/7 on this computer. I also have a barcode scanner p[lugged into the computer via USB cable also. But I did a test and unplugged one cable each night to see which one it was. (It was the Arduino USB).

Are you powering the Arduino UNO from the USB port or from a 7-9V wall power plug. If from the USB power I would suggest trying a wall jack for power, keeping the USB for data only. Are you keeping the current loads on the UNO below stated limits pins and ports? Is your motor controlled via relay?

The confusing part is BSD at night, while you know the UNO creates the issue at night why not during the day? Is there more traffic through the door at night?

Likely, the PC is going into low-power or sleep mode and causing the UNO to malfunction or the USB to do something nasty with the plug-n-play. On my Vista box, if Windows sleep then for some reason the USB turns into HID.

ANYWAY, fix by powering from wall wart or other non-usb power source.

Ray

Its not the fact that it only happens at night. Its the only time I have for it to go rogue. Actually I had left it on at 12 today and I am now checking the computer it had that window error popup that says Windows has now recovered.

Um, I have the USB connected to the Arduino, which is connected to the motor shield. I have 2 power sources not including the PC, but they were off. How can I separate the wall outlets from the PC USB. Wont it be drawing electricity from both?

Also what Ray says might be possible.

Wont it be drawing electricity from both?

When the Arduino is powered from an external power source, the USB +5 Volt is electrically disconnected from the Arduino... Only the USB D+ and D- and signal Ground are connected.

You should have the Arduino and the motor shield [u]both on the same mains outlet[/u] even if both have separate power units/bricks.

If your PC is always on (not portable) then make certain that the USB hardware power properties do not power down.

Ray

So, basically I just have to make the screensaver not turn on? So set it like at a 5 hour time limit before going to powersaving mode?

[quote You should have the Arduino and the motor shield [u]both on the same mains outlet[/u] even if both have separate power units/bricks.

[/quote]

So I have 2 separate "wall chargers" But they plug into the same wall extension outlet.

So I have 2 separate "wall chargers" But they plug into the same wall extension outlet.

That is correct.

I simply set all power-down and low-power features to full/always on. Then turn off the physical monitor if separate or forget about it if a notebook. Screensavers were for phosphor monitors!

Ray

So I just went to the power tab in the Control panel and set it that it does not go to sleep or hibernate.

That did WORK!!! It works now.