Bluetooth controlled High speed car

Hello Guys,

I just found a high speed motor from my broken toys. So i was thinking to make a bluetooth controlled car.would you guys recomended bluetooth? because i want a long range or is there some other communication medium else for long range? because in feature i might add camera :sunglasses: and coming to the front wheel i cant find that motors which is used to turn left and right. can u guys pls tell me which type of motor is used in front wheels ?as i am totally new this project so any help is much apppreciated

thank you

Bluetooth is specifically not long range.

There are various options, standard RC is the obvious choice as its purpose designed
and easy to find. There are other possibilities such as ISM band transceivers, ZigBee
networking, WiFi

MarkT:
Bluetooth is specifically not long range.

There are various options, standard RC is the obvious choice as its purpose designed
and easy to find. There are other possibilities such as ISM band transceivers, ZigBee
networking, WiFi

Thanks for replying

I had never heard of ZigBee would u please walk me through? Is it controllable with smartphone?

saifkazi:
I had never heard of ZigBee would u please walk me through? Is it controllable with smartphone?

Not directly. You could make some kind of "gateway" interface where the smartphone talks (via wifi or bluetooth) to another box that then communicates over ZigBee - see this wikipedia article for more information on ZigBee:

The thing is, at that point, why not just use wifi (ie - 802.11)? You'll get the distance you want, and it's a standard networking interface. Furthermore, it will cost much less than a pair ZigBee adaptor. Much, much less.

First off - don't go for getting a "WiFi shield" or any of that other nonsense; you'll just spend more money than is necessary.

Your cheapest option is currently a device called an ESP8266:

http://www.esp8266.com/

It's very cheap (around $3.00 per unit), and fairly easy to use. In fact, for simple IoT (Internet of Things) projects - where not a lot of IO is needed, it can be used standalone. But if you want it for data communications and more sophisticated control purposes, then connecting it with a microcontroller like the Arduino is a good option.

It is not (not yet) "plug-n-play" - you will have to do some work and invest some time to get it to work properly and to fully understand it. The libraries and other code are still in their infancy, but getting better every day. So - there's the tradeoff - more difficult usage for a much lower price (not that any other 802.11 solution will be much easier anyway). It is rapidly becoming the way to make IoT devices.

cr0sh:
Not directly. You could make some kind of "gateway" interface where the smartphone talks (via wifi or bluetooth) to another box that then communicates over ZigBee - see this wikipedia article for more information on ZigBee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZigBee

The thing is, at that point, why not just use wifi (ie - 802.11)? You'll get the distance you want, and it's a standard networking interface. Furthermore, it will cost much less than a pair ZigBee adaptor. Much, much less.

First off - don't go for getting a "WiFi shield" or any of that other nonsense; you'll just spend more money than is necessary.

Your cheapest option is currently a device called an ESP8266:

http://www.esp8266.com/

It's very cheap (around $3.00 per unit), and fairly easy to use. In fact, for simple IoT (Internet of Things) projects - where not a lot of IO is needed, it can be used standalone. But if you want it for data communications and more sophisticated control purposes, then connecting it with a microcontroller like the Arduino is a good option.

It is not (not yet) "plug-n-play" - you will have to do some work and invest some time to get it to work properly and to fully understand it. The libraries and other code are still in their infancy, but getting better every day. So - there's the tradeoff - more difficult usage for a much lower price (not that any other 802.11 solution will be much easier anyway). It is rapidly becoming the way to make IoT devices.

Ok i see that zigbee and esp8266 will require host for communication. so i think bluetooth will be good .

but any idea how can i make steering mechanism for front wheel ?