Bluetooth LE and IOS

Hi Everyone,

I recently have been trying to get my project working with Bluetooth. Simply I just want to be able to read the serial data. I started with HC06 and that worked fine using BluTerm on a mac desktop. The problem is I want to be able to view the terminal on an IOS device. Seems this HC o6 will not work and I need a BLE device.

Based on some research I purchased a Red Bear Lab BLE mini. I can get this to connect with my iPad using a BLE detector.

So here is my issue. I can't seem to find a terminal that will work to display the data. Has anyone found a BLE terminal app for IOS that works? Also in the future I might want to send data but for now I just want to view it. I basically want to use the terminal to monitor sensor data while the main device in out of reach.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Ken

Does IOS app Swift mean anything to you?

I know Swift in xCode for developing iPhone apps. Is there an actual app as well? Or are you just recommending doing my own app. I have no problem trying to write my own app for the phone. I'm just not sure how difficult it would be. Any suggestions on how to start?

Thanks,
Ken

No. Swift just came up in another thread. I don't know anything about IOS .

I'm looking into the Swift option but it is a pretty complicated solution to what I thought would be a easy thing to solve. Red Bear Labs provides a pretty simple app that sort of works but isn't all that elegant. The app looks like code examples so I'm hoping they maybe have the source code somewhere and I can modify it.

With the new version of xCode and Swift 2.0 it is no very easy to make a custom app for your iOS device since you don't need to pay the $100 a year license. I'll try the app development route and let you know how it goes, but if in the meantime anyone finds a better way, please let me know. I really don't want to have to decipher Apple's Bluetooth library.

Thanks,
Ken

KenyanX:
Simply I just want to be able to read the serial data.

and

KenyanX:
I'm looking into the Swift option but it is a pretty complicated solution to what I thought would be a easy thing to solve.

It seems it may be simpler to just get an Android device.

Hi KenyanX, I'm the BluTerm owner, yes your Mac with OSX through BluTerm is able to establish an SPP connection but with iOS you can't do this.