I've been toying with this setup for about 14 days now and it seems confusing to me - I have to trip a "h/l" switch to change from communication mode to command mode, and in communication mode - I can't get ANY feedback from the modem about what device has connected, disconnected, etc.... I hand-soldered "pio-9" to a wire lead stuck directly into pin #6 so that I could get a simply bit feedback when my device has been connected - before the communications begin!
Am I the only person with this problem, and am I using this wrong? Seems like to me, I need to re-wire the "h/l" switch add circuitry to control the power-on connector - just so that the Ardunio unit can maintain the control over the modem to administer the device list, make discoverable, etc....
I'm trying to make a security system for my truck, automatic start, door unlocks, remote engine start. So ideally, if I LOST my phone, or wanted to add another phone to it's list - I don't want to peel apart my dashboard to manually reprogram the unit for all of this. Is this a simplified version of something else I should have bought that would give me more control over the situation - or am I using this wrong? I'm confused.
I'm trying to make a security system for my truck, automatic start, door unlocks, remote engine start. So ideally, if I LOST my phone, or wanted to add another phone to it's list - I don't want to peel apart my dashboard to manually reprogram the unit for all of this.
Maybe you have to start small. Read the HC-05 datasheet and show us your schematics. A simple source code would help as well..
or am I using this wrong?
I think you might be. Why don't you just use a password? Not losing the password when you lose the phone would be a good idea, then you could use it with the new phone.
Small project? ?!? Yes - I was trying to figure out the communications part first before I progressed into removing all the wires from my truck and installing a new control module before I knew how this works. I hope I haven't confused anyone with explaining the end-result of what I was trying to do, for this step of the phase.
I got the project working,, finally. After examining the board itself using the logic probe, I discovered an error on the WIKI page regarding the IO-SWITCH assignment flea-clip setting on pin #8. After hand-soldering pin RST (OR pin #3) of the Bluetooth shield - to a wire assigned to D10 of Arduino - I could power cycle the Bluetooth board problematically, and complete what I thought needed to be done, in order to change modes from COMMAND to COMMUNICATIONS & vice versa.
I just found this power-reset solder fix strange, since the rest of the board seemed to be designed properly, and have to assume the designers know way more about providing the right tool then I do. I could not figure out ANY other way to switch from communication to command, without pulling the power cord out of the unit and putting it back in. A simple flea-clip assignment from that pin on the board could have saved the hassle.