BME280 and BMP280 32 celsius bad lecture ESP8266

Hello there,

I am new in arduino and this world of projects, I appreciated any feedback, I have been dealing with a problem trying to follow this project GitHub - IU5HKU/MiniWXStation: ESP8266 and BME280 sensor for a minimalist weather station to put on your terrace . version of the project bme_V08c.
My situation is the next one: I configured the ESP8266, I upload the sketch and also I connected the sensor BME280, however, When I tried to verify the lectures of the sensor I got this message:

image.png

But, this lecture is not correct, it looks like the sensor is not working. I bought 3 different sensors, I did test and all of them are showing the same lecture. I tested using another ESP8266 from a friend of mine and I found that all the sensors are in good condition, but I´m not sure what is happening between my ESP8266 and the BME280 . I currently using BMP280 and I´m not getting any lecture. I would like to get support on this problem in order to resolve this issue. Thanks a lot for the help in advance.

PD: I tried to make this project using the AMICA NODEMCU ESP8266 and the ESP8266 CH340 V3

Thank you!

Hi @gregorex. I think we have a language problem. I dont understand this

When I tried to verify the lectures of the sensor I got this message:

image.png

I recently bought a "BME280" module that turned out to be a bmp280 module. I could not get it to communicate at first. Its all documented HERE

I'd suggest you try connecting is with I2C as shown on that page then ..

Testing I2C

Before doing anything else (having connected the board to your Arduino of course) run the Wire - I2C Scanner sketch. That will tell you the address of the board you have connected. For a BMP280 its 0X77 (with SDO = Vcc) or 0X76 (SDO = 0V).

If all is well load the Adafruit BMP280test sketch from the examples and run it. You will likely need SDO pulled high.

A couple of thoughts:

1. If there is a question regarding which BM?280 device you have you can look at the sensor metal housing and compare it to the different datasheets. I recall the BME280 has a square housing with the hold centered near one edge. The BMP280 is rectangular with the hole in the corner. You should verify by looking at the bosch datasheets.

2. The BME280 requires a fair amount of setup to read correctly. I don't recall if there is a default output or not. BTW your attachment photo could not be read on my side. The suggestion johnerrington made about the I2C test program is the absolutely first thing to do with ANY I2C project. It can be found in the examples section of the Arduino IDE.

johnerrington:
I recently bought a "BME280" module that turned out to be a bmp280 module. I could not get it to communicate at first. Its all documented HERE

Key is whether it's set to I2C or SPI, and if the former the sensor's I2C address - and that's easy enough to find with an I2C scanner.

A BME280 library will work perfectly fine when communicating with a BMP280, except that you do not get any values for the humidity of course. The rest of the interface (I2C register values, commands, how to deal with the calibration values, etc) is identical.

When connecting a new I2C device to a project, out of habit I will first run the I2C scanner. Just to see that the thing reacts (confirming wiring is correct), and to see at which address I find the device(s) connected. Especially with I2C backpacks for LCD screens that's a good thing to check!

Hello there,

Thanks everyone for the information,

I'm not a english native spoken person, what I tried to say was that after followed the wiring to the ESP8266 I couldn't make it work the sensor, I'm using these ESP8266 as reference:

in both versions, it never worked

I will review the document and also I will run the I2C Test

johnerrington:

Testing I2C

Before doing anything else (having connected the board to your Arduino of course) run the Wire - I2C Scanner sketch. That will tell you the address of the board you have connected. For a BMP280 its 0X77 (with SDO = Vcc) or 0X76 (SDO = 0V).

If all is well load the Adafruit BMP280test sketch from the examples and run it. You will likely need SDO pulled high.

I will upload the I2C test during the day, thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciated the support with this

Hello there,

I ran the I2C test as you suggested using this code, Arduino Playground - I2cScanner and I got this from the terminal

Scanning...
No I2C devices found

Scanning...
No I2C devices found

wvmarle:
Key is whether it's set to I2C or SPI, and if the former the sensor's I2C address - and that's easy enough to find with an I2C scanner.

A BME280 library will work perfectly fine when communicating with a BMP280, except that you do not get any values for the humidity of course. The rest of the interface (I2C register values, commands, how to deal with the calibration values, etc) is identical.

When connecting a new I2C device to a project, out of habit I will first run the I2C scanner. Just to see that the thing reacts (confirming wiring is correct), and to see at which address I find the device(s) connected. Especially with I2C backpacks for LCD screens that's a good thing to check!

I ran the test without no response in the I2C scanner test.

johnerrington:

Testing I2C

I will appreciate any suggestions and what could be the next steps to resolve this inconvenience. Thanks in advance!

Standard procedure:

1. check your wiring: connections correct, all soldered or using proper connectors, with pull-up resistors and level shifting added as needed.
  2. make sure the sensor is in I2C mode, not SPI mode (check documentation of your specific module).
  3. make sure the sensor itself is good: swap it out with a new one, or with one in an otherwise known good setup.

Thanks for the advice

#1 I changed the cables, same behavior:

*ctx: cont *
sp: 3ffffda0 end: 3fffffd0 offset: 01b0

>>>stack>>>
*3fffff50: 3fffdad0 00000033 3ffee9a4 40203ffc *
*3fffff60: 00002580 0000001c 3ffee7e8 40204145 *
*3fffff70: 3ffe89a4 feefeffe 3ffee828 40203fe7 *
*3fffff80: 3fffdad0 00000001 3ffee9a4 40204160 *
*3fffff90: 3fffdad0 3ffee7e8 3ffee9a4 40204184 *
*3fffffa0: 3fffdad0 3ffee7e8 3ffee9a4 40202c11 *
*3fffffb0: feefeffe 00000000 3ffee9d8 402047a4 *
*3fffffc0: feefeffe feefeffe 3ffe85e8 401000e5 *
<<<stack<<<
; ⸮⸮z%⸮⸮BMP280 test
Could not find a valid BMP280 sensor, check wiring!

#2 The sensor is in I2C MODE

#3 I tested the sensor using a good setup and the sensor is working as expected. A this point I Bought 3 ESP8266 and I tested the configuration, none works.

wvmarle:
Standard procedure:

1. check your wiring: connections correct, all soldered or using proper connectors, with pull-up resistors and level shifting added as needed.
  2. make sure the sensor is in I2C mode, not SPI mode (check documentation of your specific module).
  3. make sure the sensor itself is good: swap it out with a new one, or with one in an otherwise known good setup.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.