BMP280 - sensor reaction time

I am attempting to make use of BMP280 barometer to measure current altitude of my quadcopter.

The problem is that it has a very slow reaction time - after lifting the quad a few meters up, the pressure slowly decreases, and it takes a few seconds for it to stabilize. Also, the pressure on the ground can take a significant amount of time to stabilize.
I am wondering if it supposed to be like that? Is there any way to implement a more or less precise altitude measurement on a quad?

I am not using any libraries, reading measurements using bare I2C according to the data sheet.

Using the same sensor with the Sparkfun BME280 library (works the same - you just don’t get humidity info) I don’t notice significant slowness (tested pressure sensitivity by blowing on it).

A few seconds doesn’t sound like much - how many seconds really? And how long is “a significant time”?

bobjenkins:
I am not using any libraries, reading measurements using bare I2C according to the data sheet.

While that does eliminate some sources of problems, it creates others. What does your output say when you load up a simple test sketch that does use the library?

I'd ask you to post your code but since you aren't using the library and with the rest of the copter code, it's very large isn't it? One way of attacking this problem is to split all of your BME280 code into a separate file and just call the functions in that file as needed. Then try to write a small test sketch which uses those functions. Post back here with the smallest code which demonstrates the problem.

Hi Bobjenkins

You may have already looked at this.

Have you checked the IIR Filter settings for for the BMP280? You can set this in the config byte. More filtering = slower response, less filtering = faster but noisier response (and you can turn the filter right off).

Also the Standby time and Oversampling rates all affect the response time. According to the datasheet you can maintain ultra high resolution pressure readings and still achieve 10+ samples per second.