Board at null is not available

I am new to Arduino and during the installation procedure I get the message “Board at null is not available”. I have used Tools/Port and it is greyed out.

Can you help?

Thanks.

[

](https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=695348.0;attach=373028;image)

For some reason the IDE is not able to read the USB serial port that the Arduino is (hopefully) connected to. Check all the wiring. Is your Arduino turning on? Do the lights blink?

Which operating system? Check Windows device manager (or the equivalents in Linux/Mac) what happens when you connect the board. Is it correctly recognised?

For Windows, the board should show under Ports (COM & LPT) in the device manager. If you get an (new) yellow triangle somewhere or an unknown device when you connect the board, you need to solve that.

Note: clone Unos might use the CH340 USB-to-TTL converter chip; under Windows, you'll need to install the driver (not sure about other operating systems).

Some additional help in the links below.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

sterretje:
Note: clone Unos might use the CH340 USB-to-TTL converter chip; under Windows, you'll need to install the driver (not sure about other operating systems).

One advantage of Linux (Mint for example): It just knows about all the available USB-serial chips without any fuss - presumably because the maintainers are actually engineers :roll_eyes: . (You do have to be added to the "dialout" group. :grinning: )

I went to device manager as advised and opened the device which was showing as COM1. I also tried to update the driver but it said I had the most recent version. HOWEVER, when I went back my board suddenly displayed in Arduino.

Looks like it needed a little jolt.

As for using Linux, unfortunately I use my laptop for work also and don't want to deal compatibility.

Thanks for the quick help all.

M