Board connectors - good practice

Is there any sort of good practice for use of different types of PCB (or stripboard) connectors?
eg … If going between two PCBs use header pins?
or … Use screw terminals if the current will be more than XXmA?

Header pins are generally good for 1A. Need more? Use a second pin on both ends. That much current across a project on breadboard/stripboard would seem like a lot tho.

JST connectors are the best way to connect boards together with up to about 8 or so wires. You can't reverse-mate and they're easy to work with.

My preferred general purpose connectors are Molex KK series. Lots of different numbers of pins, keyed so they can't be reversed and 0.1".

PerryBebbington:
My preferred general purpose connectors are Molex KK series. Lots of different numbers of pins, keyed so they can't be reversed and 0.1".

Any advantage over the common JST-XH connectors? These XH connectors are also my go-to connector. They're good for 2-3A or so. Size is pretty much the same, as is the pitch (2.5 mm for XH, which makes them still fit just fine on standard 2.54mm perfboard).

wvmarle:
Any advantage over the common JST-XH connectors?

I know of no particular advantage or disadvantage, other than I am used to using them and have a good selection. I started using them years ago and am happy with them and see no reason to find anything different.

You can actually SEE Molex crimp terminals. :wink:

For pure signal pins, I grew up with IDC connectors :wink: