Boat Trim Tab Project

Hi, yes I'm new and asking maybe the same questions others have asked. Please bear with me.

I'd like to build an automatic trim tab unit with Arduino.

I am a little lost when interfacing screens to the Arduino unit. So my thoughts are as follows.

1x Mega Arduino Board 2560

1x 3.2" Touchscreen 240x320 ILI9341 based with SD Card

1x 9axis DOF Accelerometer Gyroscope and compass module -

2x Dual relay module to drive the actuator pump up down

Now my questions relate to the number of pins required to connect the above to the main board and do I have any spare?

With thanks;
Angus

Now my questions relate to the number of pins required to connect the above to the main board and do I have any spare?

The Mega doesn't need any pins to connect it to the Arduino.

The relay module needs one pin per relay.

The 9axis DOF Accelerometer Gyroscope and compass module probably uses 2 (I2C) pins.

The "3.2" Touchscreen 240x320 ILI9341 based with SD Card" probably uses some pins.

0 + 2 + 2 + some may, or may not, be less than 54.

Posting links to the hardware you are hoping to use would be better than vague descriptions.

Paul please find updates as requested. Thanks. A.

Hi,

Interesting project. You'll want to do some serious filtering on the accelerometer data on bouncy water. Maybe even PID.

You probably will want multiple "modes". I have definitely used 3, such as "Max speed, minimum drag on smooth water", "best watersking wake", and "Keep the bow down and plow through these wicked waves in Lake Champlain"..

Hello,

Any progress with this project?
I am as well interessted in an automated tab controler.

I have as base to hydraulic tab wich arebpositioned by a valve for the direction and a small pump.

The mosy difficult thing would be to filter all movements of the boat out which shel not be taken for a change of the position like roling by waves or at courschange for example.

Any ideas how to start with this?

AHRS 3 Axis Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Magnetometer and a Fusion algorithm

https://www.roboteq.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/343/riox1216-ah-detail?Itemid=1161

I just learned about this thing today, you can use it separate but it is designed to work with roboteq controllers.

I think the magnetometer can be the compass, it's for marine purposes but a new model is coming soon...

Also there are arduino's with gyroscope and so on banggood.com...cheap and copy ones.