boatloader fails to load

Now correct me if I’m wrong (after all I don’t do multiple choice tutorials well).

I selected AVRISPmkII as the programmer in the tools menu. Connected my atmega328 and hit: Burn bootloader and got : avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device “usb” well I’ve been using the programmer with the atmel studio. Anything I missed ?

Did you install the MKii drivers? Look for WinUSB32, LibUSB32, something like that, there is a folder of files in the Arduino directory.

no such folder in the main arduino directory, where do I find them ?

it looks like it is actually going to be easier to burn the bootloader from Atmel studio !

And i mean gee could someone work on the search feature of the website. I stumble into stuff and then never find it ever again. Yes there is that nice tutorial about burning to bootloader onto a chip on a breadboard, well you'd think looking for "breadboard" would do something like find it ? NOPE !

I have the a similar problem with AVRisp MKii and USBtinyISP when I try to upload a program from the “upload” button.

processing.app.SerialNotFoundException: Serial port ‘COM3’ not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:191)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:174)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

But when I go to File, “Upload using programmer” it works?
Could not find files as requested by “Crossroads” anywhere…
If it is a missing file, how come it works via “File”?

Thanks