Boot Arduino on sunlight

Hey, I just wanted to ask more of a general question to see if this is possible. My expertise with microcontrollers is very low.

So I have a raspberry wich boots up periodically and measures temperature, moisture and light. But additionally I want to add an extra feature that it also boots up when a certain threshold of light exposure gets triggered (For example in dusk or dawn, or if you suddenly remove a blanket). All of this is an outdoor application so low energy usage is important. I thought I maybe stick a small solar panel to the arduino and put it in standby mode. Then every 30 seconds or something like that I boot up from standby-mode check the incoming voltage of the solar cell and if it hits a certain value I send a boot up signal to my raspberry pi. (Emitting a 300ms signal to a WittyPi). WittyPi is just something like a realtime clock wich lets you boot up the Pi periodically, and if you send a signal to it’s swich port it also boots up.

So do you think that this is possible with an arduino? If so wich model would you suggest to me? Are there any limitations I should keep in mind? If you want to know any more details about my setup feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Your idea looks good to me. See the many threads about power saving for hints.

For powering the Arduino I'd dissect a "solar lamp" and use its solar cell and accumulator. But I don't know how well suited such a solar cell is for measuring the solar altitude. If not, a photo transistor or LDR and external (Pi) power supply may be a simpler solution for the Arduino part.

Any particular reason for using a Raspberry Pi to perform such mundane tasks such as reading temperature, humidity & lux as it is a power hungry device compared to most MCU's like Atmega328(UNO), 32U4(Leonardo), ESP8266, ESP32.

No there really isn't a reason to be honest. At the time I started this I just didn't know that such a thing as an Arduino exists. But I'm planning to switch to Arduino entirely. There is even an Arduino with a SIM reader included wich makes it extremely more useable in an outdoor enviroment. But for now I want to try it this way, wich I know is harder but still faster than migrating the entire project to Arduino. It's a compromise.