Bootload list?

So understanding how to bootload and people telling me that the device detect what kind of chip
you try to bootload and it's selecting the files that you have on your IDE and installing them on
the chip without you selecting anything, is there any "list" of chips that arduino as ISP can bootload?
a list of files and necessary bootloads for the chips arduino is capable to bootload and how to install
them in the IDE files?

I recently bootloaded 328p-pu chip and in the future i wanna bootload same chip but smd and I found out that i will need 32u4 too so I just wanna find out is there is a list arduino is capable to bootload and if there is then how to install the bootloads on the IDE files.

D.60

The Arduino IDE does not automatically detect the model of Arduino when you are going to burn a fresh bootloader. You have to manually select the board before you burn the bootloader. There are multiple Arduino models that use the same processor and they often use different bootloaders. All the uploader (avrdude) can do is check the signature of the target processor to make sure it matches the processor in the board model you have selected. Since you are using the ICSP interface to burn a bootloader it can easily install the 8MHz Lilypad bootloader into a 16MHz Arduino UNO because both use the ATmega328p processor. It won't work properly as either an UNO or a Lilypad because the clock rate is twice what the bootloader is built for so the baud rate is double.

The various "boards.txt" files contain the lists of Arduino board models you can select and each entry specifies which bootloader is used for that model.

Wait you mean that people lied to me?
I made this question on this forum weeks ago and they told me that while you connect the chip and start
bootloading the arduino detects what chip you plugged to bootload and it's burning the right bootload.
(I mean the IDE file bootload not the selected option board/chip)

You mean that I could of done it wrong ? O_o
My recently video on how I burned some atmegas328p-pu

You have to manually select the board before you burn the bootloader.

Yes, from the options you select which board to burn which is equal to the chip you want to burn but what if
the IDE does not have that bootload for the exact chip you want to burn?

D.60

No, you didn’t understand what they were saying. It is not helped by you continuing to use the wrong words. The words you use mean something else and people are having to guess what you really mean.

Each Atmel chip has an ID number in it. The boot loader software, as part of the protocol, will send that byte to the IDE when the IDE requests to upload a program. This number is in the data sheet for the chip.

what if the IDE does not have that bootload for the exact chip you want to burn?

Then this means one of two things:-

1. The chip is sufficiently different so that the bootloader code needs to be modified to work.
  2. It is a new chip that is compatible with an old one but has not been defined.

Selecting a board before compiling is a totally different thing. That sets things like the pin mapping and internal hardware peripherals for the board AND the processor. Yes the processor ID is included in this but it is only one function.

is there any “list” of chips that arduino as ISP can bootload?

Yes it is in the IDE software, its path depends on what computer you are using, it is called boards.txt.
I have attached the one in release 1.6.5

boards.txt (24.4 KB)

Domino60:
Yes, from the options you select which board to burn which is equal to the chip you want to burn but what if
the IDE does not have that bootload for the exact chip you want to burn?

Then you need to find or compile such a bootloader. And add support to boards.txt (if you find the bootloader, likely there will be instructions on this). The Optiboot project (search for it on GitHub) has bootloaders and support files for a lot of extra chips that you can download and use in the IDE.

The Arduino Leonardo, Micro, and LilypadUSB all use a 32u4. The first 2 run off external 16MHz clocks, the latter an external 8MHz clock. You can burn any of their bootloaders to a new 32u4 through the IDE just fine. You can even use an Uno or other 328p-based board and the ArduinoAsISP sketch to do this.

It was a sarcasm/joke :smiley: (sorry if it was offensive)

Well as I understand Burning a chip with arduino as ISP you upload on the arduino board the ISP code
after that connecting the pins and selecting from the ( Tools_Boards_... ) you select the board/chip you want to burn. I'm I wrong with that?

If you saw the video above I Burned atmega328p-pu selecting arduino Uno, is that fine or I made a huge mistake? I think it's fine because uno use the same chip, isn't it? (16Mhz)

D.60

Domino60:
It was a sarcasm/joke :smiley: (sorry if it was offensive)

Well as I understand Burning a chip with arduino as ISP you upload on the arduino board the ISP code
after that connecting the pins and selecting from the ( Tools_Boards_... ) you select the board/chip you want to burn. I'm I wrong with that?

If you saw the video above I Burned atmega328p-pu selecting arduino Uno, is that fine or I made a huge mistake? I think it's fine because uno use the same chip, isn't it?

D.60

You are correct in your procedure. Load ArduinoISP sketch on a board, add a 10uF cap between reset and ground on that board if it is an Uno, connect the board to be bootloaded, select the board to be bootloaded under tools->board, select tools->programmer->ArduinoAsISP, then hit tools->burn bootloader.

The Atmega328p is used in the Uno, Pro Mini, and many other boards. Any of their bootloaders are fine, but usually the Uno bootloader is the best to use. (btw, the -PU does not matter, that only means it is the DIP part. -AU and -MU are also available - surface mount packages - and have the same signature).

add a 10uF cap between reset and ground on that board if it is an Uno

Why? I added a 10k resistor between reset and vcc. Not even sure if it's necessary, I've seen many examples
the only difference is that they add different stuffs on the reset.

Talking about bootload and i'd not like to open new topic, I got a (Atmega8A-AU "smd") the bootload
procedure will be the same?
I see only a option in the (Tools_ Boards_ Arduino NG or older w/ Atmega8) I got the 1.0.5 IDE.

As I know the chips got a internal clock of 8Mhz (?!) how to I change if I want to use the internal clock
and not adding a crystal.

D.60

Domino60:
Why? I added a 10k resistor between reset and vcc. Not even sure if it's necessary, I've seen many examples
the only difference is that they add different stuffs on the reset.

Talking about bootload and i'd not like to open new topic, I got a (Atmega8A-AU "smd") the bootload
procedure will be the same?
I see only a option in the (Tools_ Boards_ Arduino NG or older w/ Atmega8) I got the 1.0.5 IDE.

As I know the chips got a internal clock of 8Mhz (?!) how to I change if I want to use the internal clock
and not adding a crystal.

D.60

I believe the cap is to disable the auto-reset on the Uno and other Arduino boards that occurs when the serial port is opened (which happens when you plug into the computer). There is already a 10k pullup on the reset line on most genuine boards, but it isn't enough. I've gotten away with 2x 0.1uF caps in parallel though (0.2uF effective).

The Atmega8 is supported under Optiboot. There is even an option to use the internal 8MHz or 1MHz. But you might need IDE 1.6.5 to make it work. Or you can look up how to change the fuses.

Yes, same procedure.

Well probably I'm gonna download the latest IDE to burn smd chips.
WHat's the difference between atmega8 and 8A ?

D.60

Ah, didn't catch you were looking to use the Atmega8A, and not the Atmega8. My guess is there is little difference between them (like the difference between the 328 vs the 328p isn't an issue for most peoples' uses), but dig into the datasheet and find out. You might get away with just copying the Atmega8's boards.txt entries, renaming the copy to Atmega8A, and updating the build.mcu appropriately. But that's a stab in the dark. I haven't used that chip, so I can't help you beyond that there. I bet someone else has gotten the Atmega8A running through Arduino though, search around some.

Well I will play better with the standard chips and easy to bootload without any problem :smiley:
I want to make my next step to the SMD tech. because you can save a lot of space and weight on PCB’s
same functionalities but less space and weight I love SMD :smiley:

D.60