Bootloader for Duemilanove used for an Uno?

Hi, New to the forum but been looking at lots of cool projects I'd like to do. Halfway through making a wordclock on an Arduino Uno.

Anyway, as I'm looking to make a couple of word clocks I bought some new ATmega328P-PU chips thinking I'd bought them with the bootloader already on them. I didn't! So I found this page:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Following it without a problem and connected it as necessary and all looked good. Even got the message 'Bootloader burned successfully' etc.

Disconnect everything, and use the new bootloaded chip to load a sketch and i get the error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b

Getting frustrated I carried on searching and managed to find this Arduino page:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

And this is where I'm confused. The original link that shows you how to do it from board to board, says to select the board you're programming to, so I naturally chose Tools > Board > Arduino / Genuino Uno, but the second link says to

"Select "Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328" from the Tools > Board menu. (Or "ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock)" if using the minimal configuration described below.)"

So I chose the closest thing in the IDE: Tools > Board > Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila Which then gives me the option to choose the processor type (I specified 328P).

No when i upload the sketch I have to choose that board type, however on the original chip I can choose the Arduino/Genuino Uno type.

My question is - does it matter? I assume not if I am using the chip/processor away from the Uno board (which is why i bought the extra chips!).

Thanks in advance. Hoping the information also helps others as it seemed by luck I managed to get it working.

The only real benefit of using one of those board menu selections is it gives you the option of using an ATmega168. However, there is a huge benefit of using the Uno board selection instead in that it uses the optiboot bootloader, which is 1.5 kB smaller than the bootloader used for those other boards and also doesn't have the bug that causes an endless loop after a watchdog timeout reset. Just remember to use the same Board menu selection during an upload as you used when you burned the bootloader. If you are using the minimal configuration (no crystal) then you won't be able to use Duemilanove, Nano, or Uno boards, you will need to install a hardware package that supports that configuration. The one found in that tutorial will work but there is a better option I can recommend if you are using that configuration.

Hi Pert,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried numerous times to burn the correct bootloader (Arduino/Genuino Uno) But when i do burn this bootloader, altohugh it says it's completed successfully, I cannot load any sketches onto the chip as the following error occurs:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x18

Which I believe is what happens when there is no bootloader?

Is there any guaranteed way to check whether a bootloader is installed or not? I have read to check for the 'heartbeat' but even my brand new Arduino Uno doesnt appear to have one (but works without problems!).